Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Our program, Girls, Inc. of Greater Los Angeles is dedicated to inspiring young women to be smart, strong and bold! We are currently conducting a Teen Pregnancy Prevention study funded by the Office of Adolescent Health, which will positively impact many young women. As part of this grant, we are required to adhere to research standards and regularly document our progress. Currently, we are implementing throughout Los Angeles County.
We are seeking an Outreach Specialist to work 26 hours per week at the corporate office with occasional travel to sites.
- Coordinate and execute communications including mailings, phone banks, email blasts, summonses, etc.
- Coordinate contests, parties and events
- Develop and coordinate retention/incentive strategies
- Track and locate students who have missed program sessions
- Maintain clean database with current contact information
- Serve as school liaison by developing and sustaining strong relationships with partner schools
- Work closely with Girls Inc. staff and evaluation team
Must be available occasional Saturdays and evenings
- Bachelor's Degree or degree-in-progress (Social Sciences major a plus!)
- Must be able to work Monday through Friday with some evenings and weekends - work schedule will vary according to program needs and school schedules
- Ability to pass fingerprint background screening
- Valid California driver's license, insurance and reliable transportation
- As this is a school based program, there will be a scheduled time off during school breaks
- Experience working in youth programs - with teen girls a plus
- Ability to communicate with groups and individuals from all walks of life with sensitivity and empathy
- Requires a problem solver with demonstrated ability to put together plans and strategies