One of the Washington, DC, region’s most successful and venerable real estate firms is looking to hire a Senior Safety Manager. Primary responsibility for leading and managing the Company’s safety initiatives and loss control programs, and the development of a safety culture dedicated to being “best in class”. Assures safety program is designed to comply with OSHA, USACE, DOT, EPA and other applicable construction industry standards.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads development of and clearly articulates Company’s safety vision, objectives, strategies, policies, and procedures in order to build a safety culture dedicated to behaviors which lead to best in class results.
- Provides proactive leadership and assumes ownership of building and improving the overall safety culture; anticipating problems and providing effective solutions.
- Develops, maintains and manages Safety Policies and Procedures to insure compliance with OSHA, DOT, MOSH, VOSH and other regulatory agencies and current industry standards.
- Ensures safety and health training meet the needs of internal and external requirements by sharing knowledge and providing appropriate training to all levels of management, field staff, and project teams.
- Creating and encouraging an environment of learning, mentoring and empowerment in order to promote employee engagement.
- Encourage a proactive reporting culture, and assisting Project Superintendents and Safety staff with the implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the Project Safety Plan to ensure that appropriate attention is given to the determination of root cause and that corrective actions have been completed.
- Conducts regular site safety inspections and reports deficiencies; Manages hazard assessment activities by conducting and/or supervising safety inspections; and analyzes inspection and incident data to identify opportunities to develop preventive and corrective practices.
- Develops quarterly safety reports, annual plans & budgets for safety & health initiatives, including training.
- Leads and manages the safety staff: develops a high performance, customer-oriented work team, through hiring, motivating, coaching, appraising, rewarding & disciplining, and addressing complaints and resolving issues related to staff.
- Excellent written and verbal skills when addressing either individuals or groups.
- Ability to present information in classroom or conference call settings
- Knowledge of OSHA construction and general industry regulations
- Working knowledge of OSHA, USACE, NAVFAC, DOT, MOSH, VOSH and other regulatory agencies and current industry standards.
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions and conclusions; and monitor results to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Ability and willingness to travel; At least 30-40% travel is required. Must be able to travel throughout Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC on a regular basis or as directed by the Director of Safety and Risk Management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety and Health or construction related degree;
- OSHA 500 required;
- CSP or other safety related designation preferable;
- Minimum 5 years experience in construction industry safety management;
- Minimum 3 years experience managing & leading a structured safety program;
- Experience managing staff and third party hired firms;
- In depth technical knowledge of construction related OSHA, federal, state and local regulatory standards, and ability to recognize hazardous situations and implement effective corrective practices.