This part-time volunteer opportunity is perfect for a student or recent graduate in the field of education, international development, or other field related to work in the non-profit sector. Our ideal candidate is passionate about employing technology to support youth participation in global, action-oriented learning, and has strong writing, editing and communication skills. If this describes you, or someone you know, please apply or share this opportunity!
Why volunteer at TakingITGlobal?
- Have an impact! TakingITGlobal's programs reached millions of users last year, empowering young people in over 200 countries to express themselves, develop understanding, and take action to address social issues in their communities and around the world.
- Expand your horizons! TakingITGlobal has a strong international reputation within the non-profit, government, and corporate sectors. Your experience and strengthened skills will be respected by future employers and TakingITGlobal's collaborative nature means volunteers grow a solid professional network and gain experience vital for future job opportunities.
- Be part of a vibrant team! TakingITGlobal is a open, collaborative environment recognized as a WorldBlu Democratic Workplace and committed to fun wellness activites. Although headquartered in Toronto, TIG is an international organization and you'll have the opportunity to be inspired by partners and team members from all over the world!
Roles & Responsibilities:
Member Support and Community Engagement
- Support the revision and improvement of TIGed support materials, including the Frequently Asked Questions, TIGed Users' Guide, video tutorials, quick reference guides, and more.
- Support the development of support materials for partners utilizing the TIGed platform.
- Post and host virtual office hours
- Respond to support requests from existing and prospective TIGeducators in a timely manner, and manage firstname.lastname@example.org
- Expand the demo class by populating it with relevant content
- Provide general and administrative support to the TIGed Program Manager (such as assisting with the development of grant applications, proposals, reports, and other documents; travel logistics, etc.)
- Contribute to the TIGed twitter account.
- Contribute to the Internal TIGed Operations and Training Manual.
Public Engagement and Events
- Represent TIG and TIGed at local conferences and community events
- Contribute to TIG's best practice knowledge related to events
- Document and share information about event attendance with the team
- Whenever possible, participate in TIG team meetings, and TIGed team meetings
- Share thoughts, ideas, and suggestions as they arise
- Contribute to the strategic development and continual improvement of the TIGed program by sharing observations, ideas, and constructive criticism
- Keep staff updated by posting to "My Week" every Friday and maintain regular communication with the Director of Education Programs and Human Resources Manager at TIG and Director of Programming at TCGE
- Share interesting education related articles, news items, and resources with the team
- Add relevant bookmarks to the TIGed Delicious utilizing the established tagging system.
- Prepare a handover note to help to orient the next individual filling this role
- Strong interest in technology, global education, and youth development
- Goal oriented and able to work with minimal supervision
- Highly observant working style with attention to detail
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and can-do attitude
- Team spirited and be able to work under pressure
- Professional written and oral communication skills
- Good command of English and Microsoft Office
- Must be able to quickly and accurately assess the importance of a phone call, email, or document and take appropriate action to involve the appropriate people.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality of extremely sensitive data, records, files, conversations, etc.
- Willingness to learn
- Academic or experiential background in education
- Previous experience managing projects
- Proficiency in a language other than English
- Experience working in a non-profit organizational setting
This position is offered on an initial 4-month volunteer basis with possibility of renewal. We are looking for someone who is able to commit 20 hours per week, working 2 days per week at the TakingITGlobal office and 4 hours weekly working remotely from their home. The successful candidate may request a travel stipend.
This volunteer position is part of the TakingITGlobal Fall Internship Program Cycle with the following details:
Duration: 4 months (September - December)
Hours: 20 hours per week (16 in Toronto office, 4 remote)
Application Deadline: July 19, 2013
Orientation Day: September 3rd, 2013
Application screening will be conducted on an ongoing basis. Please electronically submit a resume and cover letter at your earliest convenience via the JobScore platform. TakingITGlobal is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
TakingITGlobal for Educators (TIGed) is a community of globally-minded educators interested in empowering their students to think and act as world citizens, a collection of resources that facilitate the inclusion of global perspectives in the classroom, and a virtual classroom that allows students to use collaborative technology in order to connect with people from around the world and learn about global issues. Learn more at www.tiged.org.
TakingITGlobal (TIG) provides innovative global education programs that empower youth to understand and act on the world's greatest challenges. Often described as a "social network for social good," the award-winning www.tigweb.org
is available in 13 languages and offers a diverse set of educational resources and action tools intended to inspire, inform and involve. Since being founded as a charity in 2000, more than 40 million people have accessed the website to learn, grow and realize their potential. Learn more about us
and explore our latest annual report.