TakingITGlobal is an international organization lead by youth, empowered by technology. TakingITGlobal (TIG) connects youth from around the world to find inspiration, information and get involved in improving their local, regional and global communities.
TakingITGlobal’s mission is to provide opportunities for learning, capacity building, cross-cultural awareness, and self-development through the use of Information and Communication Technologies. Its key strategic initiatives include; providing a virtual space for cross-cultural expression, dialogue, networking and collaboration among youth, supporting youth action and understanding around global issues, developing rich interactive, global education experiences, and facilitating the development of local content, multilingualism and skills training.
TakingITGlobal has approximately 20 staff based in Toronto and an additional 20 staff who work part-time in different parts of Canada and around the world as well as hundreds of volunteers. Supporters include Canadian Heritage, Microsoft, Adobe Youth Foundation.
• Helping to promote, recruit and coordinate the multilingual team with respect to applications, interviews and candidate selection
• Preparing and renewing contracts
• Helping schedule team meetings
• Grant access levels, update and maintain the team management tool
• Support the Online Community Team by monitoring the performance of volunteers
• Updating content on the multilingual website
• Helping to develop and promote motivational activities and incentive programs for team members
• Provide recommendations for improving overall program objectives
• Supporting knowledge management
• Comfortable with and adept at using computers (word processing, email, internet)
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Effective time management and organizational skills
• Attention to detail
• Interested in social change, multiculturalism, youth development and the mission and vision of TakingITGlobal
• Multilingual skills considered an asset
Improve skills: Staff at TakingITGlobal improve a broad range of skills including various types of web development, design, marketing, evaluation and surveys, fundraising, writing, editing, and strategy. The organization provides a good platform to improve and learn new skills due to the varied range of projects, and the opportunity to learn from others.
Gain work experience: As a youth-driven organization, TIG is often the first or second ‘career-related’ work experience for its staff. This experience can be particularly valuable, considering that (due to constant growth; and most people being relatively new or on the same level of seniority) positions are generally both challenging and ‘senior’. TIG’s reputation is growing and may be respected by future employers, and TIG’s collaborative nature and opportunities for travel and representation mean staff may grow a solid professional network.
Work in a positive environment: Several factors contribute to TIG’s positive work environment. TIG’s office is a vibrant, inspiring space located in a central, accessible, fun part of Toronto. It encourages collaboration, and is more comfortable than most workplaces.
Make a difference:TakingITGlobal’s mission is essentially altruistic, and staff members have the (rare) opportunity to put their skills and energy to work for a ‘non-profit’, ‘good cause’. Staff can get a thrill out of the ‘cutting edge’ nature of TIG’s work, the clear growth in TIG’s reach, and the positive feedback provided by members and partners.