This part-time opportunity is perfect for someone looking to develop their experience working in the field of Communications, Public Relations or Marketing in a fast-paced and dynamic non-for-profit/education workspace. Working in our downtown Toronto office under the stewardship of the Education Program Manager and Community Partnerships Coordinator, our ideal candidate will demonstratively possess a passion for the education and not-for-profit sector, excellent interpersonal/communications skills and a strong willingness to learn. Our goal is to provide a unique, hands-on training opportunity, working with you to provide support, outreach and develop our online community here at TIG.
Why volunteer at TakingITGlobal?
- Have an impact! TakingITGlobal's programs reached millions of users last year, empowering young people in over 200 countries to express themselves, develop understanding, and take action to address social issues in their communities and around the world.
- Expand your horizons! TakingITGlobal has a strong international reputation within the non-profit, government, and corporate sectors. Your experience and strengthened skills will be respected by future employers and TakingITGlobal's collaborative nature means volunteers grow a solid professional network and gain experience vital for future job opportunities.
- Be part of a vibrant team! TakingITGlobal is a open, collaborative environment recognized as a WorldBlu Democratic Workplace and committed to fun wellness activites. Although headquartered in Toronto, TIG is an international organization and you'll have the opportunity to be inspired by partners and team members from all over the world!
Roles & Responsibilities:
TIG/TIGed Social Media Support
- Developing and managing campaigns to promote the use of various TIG and TIGed tools and to establish TIG/TIGed’s presence among relevant networks
- Maintaining TIG and TIGed’s social networking online profiles and online presence
- Manage TIGed Blog content with the TIGed Blogger and Education Program Manager
- Coordinate the planning, writing and editing of News from TIGed, which is released every two months; TIG Dispatch, which is released monthly;
Social Media and Website Analytics Reporting
- Review Google Analytics to keep track of changes in site activity and social media metrics
- Update/maintain tracking document for website and social media metrics
- Prepare a monthly presentation on site and social media analytics
General Writing and Editorial Support
- Assist with other writing and editing tasks as required. This might including creating and editing the following content types:
- TIG/TIGed site content
- System generated emails
- Press releases and other promotional materials
- Grant proposals
- Participate in TIG and TIGed Team Meetings
- Share thoughts, ideas, and suggestions as they arise – especially as they relate to marketing and promotional efforts
- Keep staff updated by posting to "My Week" every Friday and maintain regular communication with the Director of Education Programs and Human Resources Manager
- Share interesting education related articles, news items, and resources with the team
- Add relevant bookmarks to the TIGed Delicious account utilizing the established tagging system
- Contribute to the Internal TIGed Operations and Training Manual.
- Prepare a handover note to help to orient the next individual filling this role
- Currently a college/undergraduate student or recent graduate with a background in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field
- Proven ability to multi-task and pay attention to details
- Effective time management, prioritizing and organizational skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Highly engaged and active on social media networks and online communities (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Willingness to learn new things and eagerness to acquire new skills
- Experience working with youth from a wide variety of cultures
- Demonstrated interest in youth-related issues, social change and youth development
- Believes in the vision and mission of TIGed and TakingITGlobal
- Previous experience in non-profit organization considered an asset
- Fluent in French considered an asset
This position is offered on an initial 4-month volunteer basis with possibility of renewal. We are looking for someone who is able to commit 20 hours per week, working 2 days per week at the TakingITGlobal office and 4 hours weekly working remotely from their home. The successful candidate may request a travel stipend.
This volunteer position is part of the TakingITGlobal Fall Internship Program Cycle with the following details:
Duration: 4 months (September - December)
Hours: 20 hours per week (16 in Toronto office, 4 remote)
Application Deadline: July 19, 2013
Orientation Day: September 3rd, 2013
Application screening will be conducted on an ongoing basis. Please electronically submit a resume and cover letter at your earliest convenience via the JobScore platform. TakingITGlobal is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
About TIGweb.org and TIGed.org
TakingITGlobal's online community provides a space for youth discussion, cross-cultural social networking, and access to resources that increase young people's capacity as agents of global change. TIG connects youth to both the global issues that affect us all, and the tools to solve the world's greatest problems.
TakingITGlobal for Educators (TIGed) is a key program of TIG. TIGed is a community of globally-minded educators interested in empowering their students to think and act as world citizens, a collection of resources that facilitate the inclusion of global perspectives in the classroom, and a virtual classroom that allows students to use collaborative technology in order to connect with people from around the world and learn about global issues.
TakingITGlobal (TIG) provides innovative global education programs that empower youth to understand and act on the world's greatest challenges. Often described as a "social network for social good," the award-winning www.tigweb.org
is available in 13 languages and offers a diverse set of educational resources and action tools intended to inspire, inform and involve. Since being founded as a charity in 2000, more than 40 million people have accessed the website to learn, grow and realize their potential. Learn more about us
and explore our latest annual report.