Shmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum and test prep company that aims to suck less of the joy of learning out of the requisite college readiness process.
We hope to make students better lovers of -- literature, US history, poetry, civics, biographies, music, economics, pre-algebra, and test prep.
We're on the hunt for an energetic, motivated, self-starting, flexible, and detail-oriented individual who thrives in a creative, customer-focused environment in the position of UX/UI Designer.
In this role you will design accessible and fun products that delight and excite users, design interfaces that are creative and intuitive, and report to the Head of Product Management.
- Translate business requirements into use cases and high-level customer experience requirements
- Define visual design of products from conception to development; Create innovative, intuitive and elegant solutions for our users
- Produce wireframes, visual framework and guidelines, sketches, screen layouts, color palettes, typography, and user interface elements compatible on both desktop and mobile with HTML5/CSS/JS
- Rely on your understanding of pixel perfect design at multiple device resolutions and densities to design award-winning cross-platform experiences
- Serve as a thought leader as it relates to digital design trends, tools and techniques
- Own and enforce design standards, guidelines and usability processes
- Work with minimal direction in a constantly evolving fast-paced environment
- Rapidly generate, visualize and iterate design solutions across multiple projects
- Top notch portfolio and 3+ years of experience as a digital designer
- Strong portfolio of interaction and visual design, with examples of both process and final product
- Experience with responsive design techniques from mobile to large screen, experience with Bootstrap preferred
- Proficiency in developing design concepts in Photoshop, Fireworks or Illustrator
- Understand technical restraints in the design process (Design with code in mind)
- Fluency in best practices for web-based information architecture and design, as well as strong knowledge of usability principles and techniques
- Must possess a strong Visual Design/Layout/Typography skill set
- Ability to document user experience and interactivity through wireframes, flowcharts, screenshots, design specifications and demos
- Experience working with Development teams as well as Business and Marketing
- Ability to multi-task with excellent time management skills
- Strong problem-solving, creative, communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to work well within a small team environment
- Ability to take constructive criticism
Bonus points if you also have
- Experience conducting and integrating results from various research methodologies, including consumer interviews, surveys, and usability testing
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Experience optimizing graphics and CSS for web delivery
- Illustration and icon design expertise
- Front-end development experience in writing quality CSS, HTML5 code
Send us your resume and cover letter (including URLs for an online portfolio) sharing why you fit the requirements above and ideas on how you would improve Shmoop.