Shmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that are—dare we say it—awesome, thrilling, spectacular, magnificent, unforgettable, and...smart. Really smart.
To help carry out Shmoop’s (mostly benign) plans for world domination, we’re looking for a talented and experienced US Government teacher or PhD (students welcome), who can riff on The Federalist Papers, executive orders, and the role of the media in politics, to join our team as a project-based curriculum writer. You would be writing engaging social studies content for high-school students studying Government and Civics.
- Writing engaging government/civics lessons—including lectures, activities, and assignments—for online publication
- Creating user-friendly teacher notes and quizzes to accompany your lessons
- Surfing the internet for hilarious yet informative history content
- Teaching experience in government/civics or a advanced degree in a relevant field of history/political science
- Familiarity with writing for non-academic audiences and the ability to express concepts in an engaging and approachable way
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- An eye for detail and a knack for organization
- Competency in Microsoft Word
- A brainy sense of humor that is adaptable to all subjects under your umbrella
Our offices are located in Mountain View, California, but you can work from wherever you want (whenever you want, and also wearing whatever you want). The position is project-based, and you’ll be paid per completed project.
Send us your cover letter and resume; we’ll be waiting with bated breath. If we think you're a good fit, we will request a topic-specific writing sample and academic transcript.