Shmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that are—dare we say it—awesome, thrilling, spectacular, magnificent, unforgettable, and...smart. Really smart.
To help carry out Shmoop’s (mostly benign) plans for world domination, we’re looking for talented Project-Based Remedial High School History and Government teachers who flip over Federalism, coo at the Constitution, and dote on democracy. You will be consulting on engaging online History and Government course content for high school students.
- Adapting engaging online lessons-including lectures, activities, and assignments-for remedial students.
- Creating user-friendly teacher notes and grading rubrics to accompany your lessons.
- Surfing the Internet for hilarious yet informative History and Government content
- Extensive experience teaching High School Government and History at the remedial level
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Government, History, or another humanities-based major, with strong academic performance (GPA 3.7+)
- Knowledge of History or Government concepts, such as federalism and due process
- Familiarity with writing for non-academic audiences and ability to express concepts in an engaging and approachable way
- An eye for detail and a knack for organization
- Competency in Microsoft Word
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a good sense of humor
- Advanced degree in developmental and remedial instruction or a related field
Our offices are located in Mountain View, California, but you can work from wherever you want (whenever you want, and also wearing whatever you want). The position is part-time, and you’ll be paid per completed project.
Please send us your cover letter and resume; we’ll be waiting with bated breath. If we think you're a good fit, we will request a topic-specific writing sample and academic transcript.