Palo Alto, CA | Engineering
TITLE: Director of Engineering
DURATION: Permanent Employee
LOCATION: Palo Alto, CA (right next to California Ave. Caltrain)
ABOUT US (AND OUR EXCITING FUTURE):
We pioneered cloud logistics with our on-demand fulfillment center and shipping tools, Web services, innovative developer tools and integration with today's top e-commerce platforms. Our award-winning platform provides on-demand e-commerce fulfillment and supply chain management from a network of global pick-pack and ship warehouses in the U.S., Canada, Europe and Asia to more than 1,000 emerging brands and web retailers.
It's an incredibly exciting time for our organization. In December 2013 we were acquired by Ingram Micro Inc. (NYSE: IM), a Fortune 100 company who is also the world's largest wholesale technology distributor and a global leader in supply-chain and mobile device lifecycle services. This will allow us to accelerate our platform (much more quickly than we could have as a stand-alone company) in a $40 billion market for e-commerce fulfillment services that is estimated to be growing by double-digits through 2015. The full details are publicly available here: http://goo.gl/mSHCjc and on our blog
As a stand-alone subsidiary of Ingram Micro in the Silicon Valley we will be continuing our start-up culture and maintaining our focus on revolutionizing the supply chain in favor of emerging brands. Through Ingram we have access to global facilities and distribution strength that will accelerate our innovation. Our charter is to be visionary and define the future of this market. .
Exciting? We think so.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
We are seeking a senior technologist and forward thinker who can draw inspiration from the entrepreneurship of our customers to drive tactical platform development activities as well as strategic growth initiatives.
As part of Shipwire’s management team, and reporting into the CTO, you and your teams will work in conjunction with the Product Management team to drive the technical roadmap, deliver robust solutions, and foster innovation. In guiding the development of the next generation of our platform, you must focus on delivering software that provides scalability, availability, and seamless integration with Shipwire's customer and partner systems. You will also be responsible for establishing processes, controls, risk management, and resource allocation across the engineering organization.
You will be expected to help reinforce a culture of excellence in execution for Shipwire. You will set realistic targets and milestones, maintain a high level of team participation and interaction, serve as mentor and coach, and help facilitate processes that support high quality product delivery, including development, release management, product testing and product documentation processes.
- Lead strategic planning by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives
- Set quarterly and annual development goals and schedules in close collaboration with cross-functional peers in Product Management and Operations
- Lead, manage, and grow a world-class technical team including front- and back-end engineers, site reliability engineers, support engineers, business intelligence engineers, QA, and DevOps, working across multiple platforms, products and technologies (with an initial emphasis on LAMP technologies)
- Manage and promote an agile development process with high quality, high frequency releases
- Manage all software activities necessary to carry design specifications through to general production delivery
- Develop schedules, budgets, risk management plans, and quality goals, and lead the team to successful delivery
- Identify and drive improvements in the development process that maintain or improve quality, customer experience, schedule, and costs
- Identify, evaluate and manage suitable technology partners and vendors
REQUIRED LEADERSHIP AND TECHNICAL ATTRIBUTES:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science
- A minimum of four (4) years prior related management experience
- A minimum of ten (10) years of software development experience including agile methods and test-driven development
- Experience with the design and development of large scale transactional e-commerce platforms
- Experience with a wide range of web technologies with an emphasis on LAMP-related technologies
- Exceptional problem solving skills with an eye towards delivering solutions quickly
- Previous experience leading the technical function for a high-growth online presence
- Exceptional leadership and mentoring skills and track record of developing talent
- A demonstrated business mindset and general management orientation
- The capacity to set a strong vision for technology
- Strong execution/implementation skills
- Ability to communicate and work successfully across functions and global teams
- Excellent decision making abilities