Join Our Team
Vice President, Field Operations (GeoFlexible)
New York, NY | Executive Leadership (Regional)
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 2,900 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Colorado, Texas, and Maryland with a budget of almost $8M. A recipient of significant Social Innovation Fund funding through the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation and Mile High United Way, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
Reading Partners is conducting a national search for a dynamic VP of Field Operations to join us to lead our continued growth in the Eastern region of the US. This vital position is responsible for ensuring programmatic integrity across the region, engaging collaboratively with regional fund development teams and regional boards of directors to cultivate funding partnerships, and creating strategic plans to guide the regions’ growth in both existing and new regions. The VP of Field Operations will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will initially oversee a team of 2-4 direct reports who are Regional Directors (RED) that have local ownership of program execution, fundraising, and regional development. Overall, the VP will be responsible for a team of approximately 50-80 full time staff and AmeriCorps members and an operating budget of approximately $3-4M, with bottom-line responsibility for ensuring that programmatic and fundraising goals are met.
Programmatic Execution and Regional Development
- Ensure that ambitious regional program goals are met for existing programs as well as expansion sites
- Work with REDs to create sustainable staffing and regional growth models, ensuring that systems are in place to maintain high levels of program quality and fidelity
- Build strong teams in partnership with national staff and manage high-quality training, coaching and development for program staff and AmeriCorps members
- Reinforce organizational culture of goal orientation, accountability, data-driven decision-making, and optimism for successful outcomes for employees and students served
- Report outcomes and information needed by regional team, national offices, and outside funders (public and private)
- Assess program and operational effectiveness, identifying needed improvements and being responsible for successful implementation
- Collaborate and build strong relationships with the rest of the organization, including the national teams (i.e., growth strategy and development, policy and advocacy, evaluation, human resources, finance, technology, administration)
- Contribute to decision-making on all critical organization-wide issues, such as resource allocation, policies and procedures
- Lead regional growth and expansion by cultivating relationships with new funders and school district partners.
- Work closely with major funders, key state and Local Education Agency partners, other nonprofit partners and volunteer boards to promote Reading Partners and ensure that the program thrives and expands sustainably
- Collaborate with key funders and high-level community leaders to enable RP to meet regional needs
- Serve as the executive staff liaison to the Regional board of directors, and representing the Eastern Region to the National Board of Directors.
- 4+ years of experience in a senior management role, preferably in a nationally scaling nonprofit environment or in the education field
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Reading Partners, preferably with experience in reading intervention and/or tutoring programs
- Demonstrated ability to build effective teams and to work in a fast-paced, complex nonprofit environment
- Significant experience in budget development and scenario planning
- Experience building relationships with and engaging high-level donors, school district staff and/or community leaders
- Excellent analytic, problem solving and coaching skills
- Attention to detail and ability to implement a program with a solid core model to new unique locales
- Charismatic professional with not only strong programmatic and management skills, but with top-notch communication and organizational skills
- Adept in implementing and managing multiple projects and helping us to excel in many areas
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, able to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds to bring Reading Partners to its next level of excellence
- Demonstrated Board liaison experience
- Flexibility to travel out of state when necessary (20-25%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; advanced degree in education or related field preferred
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Matt Aguiar at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1958 Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please do not use the APPLY NOW at the bottom right.
Reading Partners is an affirmative action employer
committed to diversity in the workplace.