Join Our Team
Site Coordinator - Denver, Colorado Region
Denver, CO | Program
Reading Partners is a nonprofit organization that provides literacy intervention programs at elementary schools in low-income communities. Reading Partners’ mission is to expand the life opportunities of children in low-income communities by empowering them with strong literacy skills. At each school, we take over a classroom to transform it into a special learning environment called a Reading Center and recruit a corps of 40-80 community volunteers from all walks of life who will serve as tutors at the school.
Reading Partners currently works in 65 schools across California (San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Sacramento), Washington DC, New York, Texas, Colorado, and Maryland. For exact current locations, please see our website. In the 2012-13 year, Reading Partners anticipates adding 12-15 new sites in existing regions and expanding into 4-5 additional states.
Each Reading Center is run by a full time Site Coordinator, a Reading Partners member whose job it is to supervise volunteers and act as the link between our program and the school. All tutoring is done using a highly structured curriculum that we developed in partnership with faculty at Stanford University.
We are currently seeking a Site Coordinator in our Denver, Colorado region to operate innovative literacy intervention programs at elementary schools. Site Coordinators will become part of the Reading Partners program and will receive ongoing coaching and development from Reading Partners staff. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in getting involved in the educational or nonprofit fields.
The program operates from 9am-5pm, Monday through Thursday. Members will spend Fridays focusing on professional development and preparation, as well as participating in team volunteer activities. This is an exciting opportunity to play a critical role in directly impacting America’s elementary school students while building your own organizational and professional skills, all while serving your local community.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with elementary school students, teaching reading or community organizing. They demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, a strong sense of responsibility, and the ability to work independently toward identified goals and objectives. The ideal candidate will thrive in a casual, yet fast-paced environment and will have the ability to work and communicate in diverse communities. Candidates should be excited about working as part of a team, and interested in receiving ongoing coaching and guidance.
Most importantly, candidates must be committed to providing excellent educational opportunities for all students and must be willing to work enthusiastically toward achieving this goal.
At each school-based reading center, a Site Coordinator oversees the day-to-day operations of the center, while working closely with a Program Manager, a staff member with a strong educational background who will spend one full day each week working with the Site Coordinator. The Site Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Coordination of a site-based, curriculum-focused, one-to-one tutoring program for approximately 60-80 struggling readers in grades K-5.
- Ensuring that all students receiving support through Reading Partners are making gains in their reading abilities.
- Implementing identified materials, tools, resources and activities to address students’ learning needs.
- Openness to coaching and support from supervisor, who will have extensive background and experience in elementary education, and a willingness to use them as a resource.
- Training and supporting community volunteers in their role as reading tutors; helping to create a welcoming environment and positive experience for volunteers.
- Facilitating communication and maintaining positive relationships between Reading Partners, teachers, students’ families and community partners.
- Supporting tutors during sessions by identifying resources and addressing questions and concerns.
- Conferencing with tutors and teachers in order to maximize student achievement.
- Implementing opportunities for parents to become involved with Reading Partners.
The Site Coordinator will report directly to the local Reading Partners Program Manager (positioned regionally to support approximately 5 total sites), an experienced elementary educator with a strong background in teaching literacy. Program Managers will provide on-site support and coaching for approximately 6 hours per week, in addition to weekly training sessions.
This position will work closely with other Reading Partners staff, school staff members and administration, volunteer tutors, community partners, students, and families.
- Excellent constituent relations skills (volunteers, teachers, parents), positive attitude
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Experience and interest in working with elementary school-age children
- Energetic, outgoing personality
- Ability to express self clearly, in written and verbal forms
- Working knowledge of and ability to follow structured Reading Partners literacy curriculum
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel within a defined geographic region on occasion
- At least 17 years of age and a US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Experience in volunteering or volunteer management
- Experience teaching reading to K-5 students or working within a school environment
- Experience working with a diverse community and/or English Language Learners
Starting pay $10-$12/hr as well as comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance and paid time off for vacation, sick and holidays.
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter which highlights your relevant experience and qualifications for the position, as well as the reasons for your interest in the position.
Positions are likely to be filled by June 2012, and positions will begin in early-August 2012 with an anticipated end date with the school year through June 2013
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.