Join Our Team
Outreach Manager - Dallas, TX
Dallas, TX | Community Engagement
Outreach Manager, Dallas TX
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 5,000 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, Maryland, and Colorado with a budget of over $13M. As one of only a handful of nonprofits to receive two highly competitive federal Social Innovation Fund grants, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
- Focus on children from low-income communities.
- Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
- Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
- Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
The Reading Partners Outreach Manager leads and supports a team of 2-3 Outreach Coordinators in developing strategies and coordinating volunteer outreach efforts to ensure that all efforts are well executed and that volunteer recruitment goals are met. These Outreach Coordinators are based in our Dallas Region, and the Outreach Manager may be called on to support Outreach Coordinators in other parts of the country as well. Outreach Coordinators are each directly responsible for day-to-day volunteer outreach and recruitment for a one-on-one tutoring program in local elementary schools.
The Outreach Manager directly cultivates and manages a portfolio of volunteer partners, including overseeing multi-year partnerships with higher education institutions, local corporations and other community organizations. S/he will work in partnership with a team of Outreach Coordinators who are AmeriCorps (AC) members committed to one year of service. AC members typically have limited backgrounds in volunteer outreach, recruitment and management, and customer service, and the Outreach Manager plays a crucial role in coaching these staff members to develop necessary skills to conduct effective outreach.
Additionally, this position supports external relations activities for our Dallas Region. S/he will be responsible for drafting communications, cultivating corporate partners and supporting the Regional Executive Director in meeting the local fundraising goals. S/he will need to think creatively and be able to represent Reading Partners in diverse settings. S/he will work in partnership with local and national staff members to ensure department goals are met.
- The Outreach Manager reports to the Regional Executive Director in Dallas. S/he will also communicate regularly with the National Outreach Team.
- The Reading Partners Outreach Manager leads and supports a team of 2-3 Outreach Coordinators
The Outreach Manager is ultimately responsible for ensuring their regions meet their volunteer recruitment goals. They work directly with and manage Outreach Coordinators to meet this goal. Primary Responsibilities:
Develop and Execute Regional Volunteer Staffing Plans
- Provide oversight of Reading Partner’s volunteer recruitment and management system, including assurance that student enrollment goals for all regions are met by effectively recruiting sufficient volunteers.
- Work with Outreach Coordinators to develop individualized recruitment plans for each region and site, and ensure plans are effectively executed.
- Work with National Director of Volunteer Recruitment to ensure regional alignment with the National vision.
- Share an understanding of volunteers’ backgrounds and needs to support Outreach Coordinators and site staff in creating a positive experience for every volunteer.
- Steward and support the development of city/region-wide partnerships with nonprofits, corporations and civic organizations interested in volunteering.
- Act as quality assurance officer for all volunteer records in Salesforce database.
Staff Management and Volunteer Retention
- Execute onboarding, training, and orientation process for Outreach Coordinators. Training consists of 2 weeks before recruitment starts and ongoing semi-monthly trainings during the year.
- Ensure volunteers satisfaction and retention
- Work with the AmeriCorps Manager and Regional Program Directors to develop year-round calendar of volunteer involvement offering volunteers new and consistent ways to engage with Reading Partners
- Work collaboratively with all departments of Reading Partners to maximize the benefit of volunteer involvement with all functional areas.
- Assist in developing, scheduling, and conducting volunteer orientations and trainings.
Manage Community Relations and Partnerships
- Develop partnership strategy, in partnership with Regional Executive Director and National Outreach Team, related to Reading Partner’s focus area
- Lead targeted research efforts and develop strategies and relationship-building activities required to engage new community partners
- Plan and execute a variety of public events to increase Reading Partners’ local presence
- Arrange and attend events, conferences and meetings to generate new leads.
- Participate in regular meetings and collaborate with regional department heads.
- Ensure all internal and external communications are clear, high quality, timely, consistent and appreciative.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Fundamental belief that all children can achieve excellence in school and in life, and reading is an integral component to that success.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of professional experience
- Significant experience in volunteer recruitment and management
- Experience in managing professional staff and in cross-departmental collaboration
- Ability to provide strategic coaching and support to develop skills within others
- Proven success in preemptively and proactively identifying and addressing problems
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office Applications as well as background in database management
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills and comfort with public speaking
- Flexibility and adaptability in work schedule, including some nights and weekends
- Strong team orientation, interpersonal skills, judgment and ability to work effective in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Energy, creativity, initiative, sense of humor and enthusiasm.
- Well organized with exceptional attention to detail and follow through
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Interest in and commitment to the field of education and literacy
- Ability to fit into a working environment that is both collegial and highly disciplined, and one that is committed to producing excellent results.
- Knowledge of the Dallas area and experience in community outreach in Dallas
- Background in independent event planning
- Experience coaching staff in time management, volunteer cultivation and prioritizing competing projects
The ideal candidate has a strong background in external relations, marketing or communications, volunteer recruitment, management, retention and engagement. S/he possesses strong managerial skills and must be able to provide ongoing coaching to staff members who may have limited experience but who are committed to developing a high-quality volunteer program. S/he must be able to multi-task and juggle multiple priorities and activities simultaneously. S/he should have firm experience working in customer service and must be able to independently identify and troubleshoot operational challenges. S/he must be able to develop action plans, understanding that they will be held accountable for recruitment results.
Most importantly, s/he must be able to model and internalize Reading Partner’s core values, and be committed to providing excellent educational opportunities for all students while working enthusiastically toward achieving this goal.
Willingness and ability to travel to community events and partners through out the Dallas area, as well as possible travel to the Oakland Headquarters.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers as well as maintain Reading Center records. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This is a full time, exempt, salaried position with comprehensive benefits and generous vacation and sick time.
If you feel you are a strong fit for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter clearly stating why you would be successful in this position. Please include salary history for the past three roles. Due to the volume of applicants, we are unable to respond to every inquiry. We respectfully request no phone calls.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.