Join Our Team
Literacy Intervention Tutor - NY Metro Region
New York, NY | Program
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 2,900 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, and Maryland with a budget of almost $8M. A recipient of significant Social Innovation Fund funding through the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
· Focus on children from low-income communities.
· Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
· Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
· Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
· Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
We are currently seeking responsible, high-caliber, patient, and motivated tutors to join our growing team. Tutors are essential in carrying out our mission which is to assist elementary school students in literacy development and inspiring kids to be life-long readers. Tutors engage in Reading Partners curriculum with selected students in a one-on-one tutoring sessions held at our on-site Reading Centers. Tutors will collaborate with the Reading Partners School Site Coordinator to assess the student’s needs and how best to address them. The children that tutors work with are performing below their expected academic grade level.
- Commit to work for the current academic year. Consistent, ongoing support is necessary for the children and teachers with whom we work.
- Utilize Reading Partners curriculum to tutor/mentor students.
- Review student progress notes prior assessment notes prior to each tutoring session and complete progress notes after each tutoring session.
- Be punctual, attentive and engaged in tutoring sessions. Unexcused and excessive absences or unsatisfactory performances will be grounds for dismissal.
- Assisting in running the tutoring center, including substitute tutoring, assisting in preparing and coordinating tutoring materials for volunteers
- Perform other duties, as assigned
- High School Degree or GED (Bachelor’s degree preferred)
- Willingness to learn about tutoring strategies
- Patience working with students who need help learning
- Access to reliable transportation
- Ability to work independently or with limited supervision
- Commit to a schedule and punctuality essential to the position
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective and professional role model for students served
- Bilingual a plus. (Spanish speaking preferred)
$10 per hour. This is a part-time (6-19 hours per week) non-exempt position. In order to for students to reach academic goals for year, tutors will need to commit to tutor through the current academic school year.
- We firmly believe in a "culture of learning" for both our students and our tutoring staff. We have a research based curriculum model to work with kids. For our tutors, we will provide on-going training and support to help you and the children meet goals and succeed.