Vice President of Engineering
Portland, OR | Engineering
Job Title: Vice President of Engineering, Puppet Labs
Reports to: CEO
Location: Portland, Oregon
Summary of Role
As part of the Executive Team, this individual will build and lead a fantastic engineering team and delight our users and community by shipping great software.
To deliver on this mission, the candidate will:
* Provide technical leadership for product and business strategy
* Lead deep analysis and discussion that furthers Puppet Lab’s growth
* Own the product development and launch strategy
* Develop process that fosters innovation and collaboration while providing a trusted framework amongst the development team, the executive management team, the Puppet Open Source community and any volunteer and/or 3rd party developers, users.
* Lead the development and delivery of successful software products including custom products all focused on customer value
* Direct the operations of the development organization so products are released on time and with accuracy; lead small batch, rapid iteration engineering approach
* Scale team through rapid growth over the next several years
* Take full accountability for the success of the development organization; this includes providing the development team with tools and logic in managing their priorities and pressures from external and internal sources
* Be responsible for being able to prioritize the urgency of failures on the product
* 10+ years of experience in a software organization driving large-scale new product development
* 5+ years of executive management experience with extensive experience leading technical teams that ship great software and multiple products, interacting with senior management, and managing large development budgets
* Enterprise infrastructure software company experience
* Proven experience in managing an open source software project with an active community; Ruby development experience preferred
* Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams from 25 - 150 engineers leveraging an understanding of how to develop high performing teams/organizations with effective talent selection, mentoring, skill development, process improvement and performance management
* Expert knowledge of software development methodologies and commitment to best practices
* Demonstrated understanding of how user experience and design capability is applied in the creation of products that customers will love
* Entrepreneurial start-up company experience, working to ramp company processes, systems and development methodology to scale up with client demand
* Great communication skills; unafraid to speak your mind, learn from others and engage in productive intense discussion
* Able to stay close to the day-to-day technical details while not losing sight of the strategic priorities
* Experience with efficiently absorbing emerging technologies from third parties strongly preferred
* Confidence, humility and an offbeat sense of humor
Please include a cover letter with your application describing why you are interested in working for Puppet Labs, and how you feel your experience fits the listed qualifications of the position.
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.