Software Quality Engineer
Portland, OR | Engineering
Software Quality Engineer
Department: Engineering - QA
Reports to: QA Manager
Location: Portland, OR
Summary of Role
Do you have a passion for Open Source software? Interested in testing software used on all major Linux distributions, various Unices and, yes, even Windows? Would you like to see the results of your efforts improve large scale deployments at major players like Google and Zynga?
Puppet Labs is hiring a sharp, motivated Software Quality Engineer to join our growing team. QA is a DevOps team building and maintaining continuous integration environments to deliver testing as a service to our development team. The goals of our QA Engineers are to improve testing tools and infrastructure, reduce the time needed to test new builds, and improve testing reliability. In addition, they will increase product quality, code testing coverage. As our Software Developers own their tests, QA develops tools, processes and manages the testing infrastructure required for end-to-end automated testing.
- Building or extend existing tools to validate Puppet Labs’ software quality and performance
- Deploy tools and manage the testing infrastructure they run on.
- Work closely with product delivery teams in understanding QA requirements
- Exploratory/manual testing prior to releases
- Perform systems/platform administration
- Experience with acceptance/integration test design and development
- Software development experience in Ruby, Perl, and/or Python
- Knowledge of common system administration technologies and tools
- Knowledge of virtualized and cloud type environments such as EC2, VMware, etc
- Experience with version control -- preference for Git
- Strong Linux/Unix skills
- Automated test experience
- Experience with Open Source
- Demonstrated competence performing acceptance, component, capacity, and exploratory testing.
Preferred but not required:
- Exposure to automated UI testing, ie Selenium
- Good TCP/IP networking skills
- Windows administration experience
- Experience testing in a continuous integration environment, i.e., Jenkins
Please include a cover letter with your application addressing the following:
- Why are you interested in working at Puppet Labs?
- What is your favorite programming language and why?
- What is your favorite operating system and why?
- How many years of experience do you have writing Perl, Python, and/or Ruby?
- How many years of experience do you have administering and/or hacking on Linux?
Please also include a list of references.
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.