Software Engineer (Community)
Portland, OR | Engineering
Software Engineer (Community)
Reports To: Lead Engineer, Puppet Core
Location: Portland, OR
Summary of Role
Puppet Labs is looking for a great, passionate developer to work on our core open source projects: Puppet (our flagship system automation toolkit), and Facter (Puppet’s cross-platform system profiling library). In this role, you’ll help mentor new contributors, shepherd their code through the system, and help make contributing to our core open source projects a great experience for community members. You’ll help review and merge pull requests, collect metrics around the state of community contributions, mentor contributors, cultivate new developers within the community, and interact regularly with our user community.
If you want to be directly involved with open source software used on millions of systems every day, included in every Linux distribution, and one of the most widely-deployed Ruby projects on the planet, then this is the place for you!
- You have a passion for building open source communities. You’re willing to mentor those with less development experience, love “teaching people to fish”, and can communicate with users professionally and effectively.
- You can cultivate a sense of “good taste” for a project and use it to make technical decisions, justify trade-offs, accept or reject patches, and decide whether to ship now or ship later
- You are fluent in a high-level programming language: you value test coverage, regularly consider performance and portability issues, can recognize when refactoring is necessary, and generally care about the details of the craft.
- You are familiar with distributed version control, issue trackers, mailing lists, IRC and the other common tools among open-source users and developers
- You are a unix “gearhead” who can understand the wants and needs of system administrators
- Puppet Certified, a plus!
Please include a cover letter with your application describing why you are interested in working for Puppet Labs, and how you feel your experience fits the listed qualifications of the position.
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.