Portland, OR | Engineering
Reports To: Director, Engineering
Location: Portland, OR
Summary of Role
Puppet Labs is looking for an outstanding developer to lead development on Facter, Puppet’s cross-platform system profiling library. In this role, you’ll be responsible for making Facter the best possible open-source tool for collecting data about a system: fast, reliable, extensible, and loved by its users. You’ll design and implement significant new features, collaborate on the long-term roadmap for the project, curate the issue tracker, mentor new open-source contributors, review pull requests, and interact regularly with users.
- You have a passion for using, building, and sharing open source software
- You are a unix “gearhead” with lots of experience dealing with various unix systems, who understands their foibles
- You are conversant in both high-level and systems-programming languages
- You love shipping code, and want to see your work in the hands of users
- You are familiar with distributed version control, issue trackers, mailing lists, IRC and the other common tools among open-source users and developers
- You can cultivate a sense of “good taste” for a project and use it to make technical decisions, justify trade-offs, accept or reject patches, and decide whether to ship now or ship later
- Puppet Certified, a plus!
With your online application, please include a cover letter and address the following:
- Why are you interested in working for Puppet Labs?
- What is your to-do list philosophy? How do you juggle multiple projects, each with different importance, time budget, and stakeholders?
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.
If you want to be part of an open-source project used on millions of systems every day, included in every Linux distribution, and one of the most widely-deployed Ruby projects on the planet, then this is the place for you!