Desktop Support Technician
Portland, OR | Technical Operations
Desktop Support Technician
Department: Technical Operations
Reports to: Operations Manager
Location: Portland, Oregon
Summary of Role
Do you have a passion for desktop support and making internal customers happy? Interested in utilizing your awesome Mac administration skills? Excited about automating desktop support, software updates/upgrades, and account provisioning using Puppet?
Puppet Labs is hiring a Desktop Support Technician to join our Technical Operations team. We’re seeking someone who empathizes with our internal customer’s needs and understands how the right tools help our employees become more productive, successful and effective. You’ll help Engineering ship code, Sales close deals, and Puppet Labs grow the community around our products by providing our employees with the best tools to do their jobs. You will research and deploy the latest software and hardware that increases the productivity of our employees. You will also get the opportunity to interact with the community through blog posts, conferences, and sharing code that helps solve real problems.
- Enjoys working with people, values customer satisfaction, has a strong customer service focus.
- Experience installing and configuring diverse types of software; performing patches, updates and upgrades in a OS X, Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience with OS X workstations and associated peripherals.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to non-technical people.
- 1 - 2 years experience in Mac desktop support.
Preferred but not required:
- Experience in Linux systems administration
- Experience with Puppet
- Experience with Jira, Redmine, or equivalents
Please include a cover letter with your resume addressing the following questions:
- Describe the worst support problem you’ve ever had and how you solved it?
- If you could do one thing to make desktop support easier what would it be?
- Describe something you’ve automated in the past (can be anything!), how you did it and why.
- You have an OS X property list file that you need to get data from. What tools are available to you, which would you choose and why?
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.