You’ve been around the block as a release engineer and want an opportunity to take all those times you’ve said, “If only we could...” or “We should really be using this tool...” Here’s an opportunity to put those wishes to work.
More than “just” releasing, you will drive the process of software release, from Build to Customer Install, so that everyone involved is hip to the process, looking to you for leadership around the best way to do things, the latest/greatest tools to use, etc.
As a member of our QA team, you will work closely with our Development and Product teams to ensure delivery of optimal products, every release. Your opinion and the code you write will make sure that we ship an awesomely airtight product to our customers. In addition, this role will have the opportunity to contribute to Automation tests, and Engineering infrastructure. This will include training and enabling the dev team to use the processes we co-develop to avoid having a single point of failure.
You are someone who get’s frustrated at complicated installation processes, and do whatever you can to streamline installs. You know the importance of the build system and repository, and take ownership to ensure it’s always running.
You are a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, Agile environment. Even though you are extremely detail-oriented and methodical in your approach to Software Release, you understand that sometimes you may need to “wear another hat” or to change direction quickly, to ensure that we’re doing the right thing for our customers and products. You enjoy learning new technologies and don’t like to get bogged down in any one way of doing things.
• You will own the Continuous Integration environment and associated tools.
• You will work closely with Support, Sales Engineers, Customers, and others to ensure customers are ecstatic about the installation process.
• Ensure the build system and repository are always accessible and running.
• It’s your job to ensure builds are executed properly, and work with the Engineering team to resolve issues.
• Work closely with Engineers to ensure Unit Tests and Automated tests are executed correctly.
• Develop and maintain tools to assist with builds and deployments.
• Configure and manage issue tracking environment.
• Configure and manage RPM repositories.
• Build third party libraries.
• Configure and manage Git repositories.
• Work closely with Engineering to define Git Branch policies.
• Assist Engineering and Support during customer escalations.
• As time allows, the Release Engineer will participate in testing software before it is released.
• Experience configuring and managing RPM repositories, such as, Yum, and Apt.
• Strong knowledge of configuring and managing Git repositories.
• Expert at configuring and managing Jenkins.
• You can configure and manage issue tracking tools, such as, JIRA in your sleep.
• An understanding of how to setup and configure Java, and how to debug issues when a build breaks.
• Experience with the JUnit testing framework.
• Experience with configuring and using ANT.
• Previous experience working in an Agile Development environment.
• Excellent communication, problem-solving, and presentation skills.
• A passion for writing easy-to-understand and detailed technical documentation.
• Strong UNIX skills, including superior scripting capabilities (Bash, Python, Perl).
• Ability to work on-location in San Mateo, CA.
You Get Bonus Points For...
• Ability to write Jenkins plugins
• Ability to configure and manage Hadoop.
• Experience with continuous deployments.
• Ability to write deployment scripts using Puppet, Fabric, or similar frameworks.
What Can You Expect
We are laser focused on building the next great data company. If you join us, you can expect to work with talented, driven, creative and results-oriented co-workers who also bring joy and balance to their work. Your compensation will include meaningful equity ownership and a competitive salary and benefits.