New York, NY | Design/User Experience
In February 2011 the revered, 80 year old Newsweek and the thriving young IAC-founded news and current affairs site – The Daily Beast – joined forces, bringing together the 24/7 warp speed of the Web with the depth, analysis, and investigative power of one of the standard bearers of great American journalism. The combined operation now regularly attracts over 18 million unique online visitors a month and the magazine reaches millions more through its tablet and international editions. Tina Brown, former editor of Tatler, Vanity Fair, the New Yorker and Talk, host of CNBC’s ‘Topic A’ and author of the NY Times best-seller The Diana Chronicles serves as editor in chief of both publications.
- Winner of the 2012 Webby Award for Best News Site.
- Active social media community of over 3.2 million.
- The Daily Beast regularly attracts over 18 million unique visitors a month and 92 million page views
Newsweek/The Daily Beast is seeking a full-time Jr. Designer who will work with the Senior Designer in developing and maintaining the visual design of
world-class brand properties including TheDailyBeast.com and related digital platforms. A proactive, self-starter who is willing to make an impact from day one and be motivated to manage through tight deadlines will flourish in this environment.
The Jr. Designer will need to work effectively and collaboratively with partners in Editorial, Technology, Strategy and Product Management to translate strategic recommendations, IA wireframes and technical requirements into designs that are visually exciting and in line with the brand guidelines. A keen eye for the details and an attention to all elements of the user experience are imperative for this person to succeed.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for great design and typography, a critical eye for user behavior on the web and a thirsty curiosity to keep up-to-date on emerging design trends, best practices, platforms and technologies.
- Design layouts for consumer-facing digital experiences, starting from inception to completion, with a very strong attention to detail and quality.
- Interpret design direction and implement it on a project level.
- Work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment under tight deadlines and on multiple projects as necessary.
- Partner with UX/IA and Product Management resources to craft creative specs and annotations as required by Technology engineers.
- Minimum of 1 year of visual design experience with a strong portfolio demonstrating knowledge of usable, consumer-facing digital experiences.
- A passion for clean, accessible, functional responsive design.
- Entrepreneurial spirit motivated by driving strong positive outcomes for individual properties and for the company at-large.
- Diplomatic, collaborative and dedicated team player.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.