Product Manager - Platform Extensions & Data Services
Portland, OR | Product Management
Janrain, one of Portland’s most dynamic and promising venture-backed startups, is growing its team and seeking a Product Manager to further increase our growth velocity. The Product Manager will guide the development of platform and data service integrations for the products that comprise the Janrain User Management platform (JUMP) into 3rd party platforms.
As Product Manager, you will develop strategies and select partnerships for extensions to the JUMP platform including e-mail service providers, data management platforms, web content management systems, and eCommerce platforms. You will also focus on enhancing the quality of existing user data.
This position requires operating daily at both strategic and tactical levels, close interaction with engineering, sales, support, marketing, partnerships and other members of the product management team.
As Product Manager, you will guide the development team comprised of in-house resources and/or system integrators to build products from existing ideas, and help to develop new ideas based on your vision, industry experience and your contact with customers, developers and partners. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time in the market to understand their problems, and find innovative solutions for the broader market. You must have a passion for the social web. Above all, you must be an excellent communicator with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely both internally and externally about product capabilities and the problems solved.
The Product Manager will be a member of the Product Management team and report to the Director of Product Management.
Janrain helps organizations succeed on the social web with our user management platform, a solution to improve user acquisition and engagement and deliver enhanced insight into the unique characteristics of each user. With Janrain, clients learn more about their users when they login or register with an existing identity on a social network such as Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter. Then our clients are able to store that social profile data and use the information to launch more targeted campaigns or serve more relevant content. Additional components for sharing and inviting/referring friends improve site engagement and nurture brand advocates.
- Map market trends and feature requests from multiple sources to build and evolve the product roadmap for extensions to JUMP
- Work with Strategic Alliances and Product Marketing for Channel Programs to develop product plan for strategic partnerships
- Deliver PRDs and business cases for your products
- Perform build vs. outsource analysis, identify system integrators, and negotiate vendor agreements
- Manage vendors and system integrators through the product development and testing process
- Develop and manage beta and early adopter programs
- Drive the creation of packaging, pricing, deployment, support and maintenance plan for platform extensions
- Assist product marketing with go to market initiatives and with the ongoing creation of sales enablement tools
- Serve as the product expert for your products on sales and partnership calls
- Develop and deliver product training to solutions engineering, sales and partnership teams
- Identify and deliver key product metrics to measure product usage and make life cycle decisions
- Build and maintain internal competitive analysis as well as vendor/partner landscape analysis for the key verticals served by Janrain
- Work with Engineering to prioritize features, maintenance items, and bugs
- Run bi-monthly product update meetings, keep track of and communicate up to date status of feature releases and high priority bugs to relevant stakeholders in the organization
- Identify updates to external facing technical documentation as it pertains to various releases and work with the documentation team to deliver updates
- May be required to represent Janrain on developer forums, speaking engagements and technology meet ups
- 5-7 years experience delivering consumer internet products and technologies
- Experience with the Software as a Service delivery model
- Knowledge of the social media space and technologies supporting the categories
- Previous product management or product marketing experience is must
- Previous product development or sales engineering experience is a bonus
- Experience working with and managing strategic partners from a product perspective is a plus
- Prior experience with managing outsourced projects
- Demonstrated ability to be both strategic and hands-on; experience working at a growth stage start-up company is a plus
- Ability to work in an agile environment with rapid product innovation and iteration
- Self-starter who is highly organized, communicative, learns quickly, and is a team player
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Collaborative and keeps information flowing effectively within the product management team
- Passion for customers and track record of success analyzing product and market dynamics
- Demonstrated ability to gather information from many sources (engineers, professional services, sales, executives and customers) and organize it into effective product requirements
- BA or BS in Computer Science or any Engineering discipline
- Experience coding using web protocols and APIs is a plus
Janrain offers a generous benefit package, which includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation, 401k, life insurance and disability plans.
If you meet the qualifications and would like to be considered for the Product Manager - Platform Extensions & Data Services position, send your resume/blog/linkedin/twitter and a cover letter that includes a summary of your immediate qualifications.