Based in Toronto, Canada, Goddess Connections has offices and team locations across Canada, United States and around the world. As a leading niche digital publisher focused on women in leadership, Goddess Connections publishes titles and digital editions through its primary brands: this includes inbox magazines, digital and printed books, audio CDs, podcasts, streaming video and DVDs.
We’re committed to attracting new talent to keep us at the top of our business and our mission. If you are looking to be part of a culture of influence, opinion, boundary shattering, thought provoking creative excellence, then your talent and aspirations might fit within Goddess Connections. Your reward above all are the lives you help change for the better.
Job Description: Junior Accountant - Online Media
The Junior Accountant/Affiliate Associate opportunity is a part - time position for a 6 month contract period with the opportunity for extension or permanent full - time. This position will provide the successful candidate with an opportunity to learn critical finance and accounting skills in the online media and internet marketing industry with an opportunity to grow with the company.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Bookkeeping entry into the online XERO Accounting (and some QuickBooks) accounting systems
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations (multi currency)
- File all receipt, invoices and documentation online (paperless filing system)
- Enter and process vendor payments into the accounts payable system Prepare various monthly reconciliation and variance reports
- Gather all revenue from product and affiliate associations.
- Analyse revenue and affiliate income to maximize future revenue potential
- Developing and monitoring affiliate promotions
- Preparation of various tax filings including HST, EHT and review of required US taxation filing.
- Assist with monthly payroll and year end T-4, T-5 tax slip preparations (as required)
- Prepare and process expense reports
- Other general accounting duties
- Prepare departmental income to budget reports for monthly staff meetings and answer staff enquiries
- Prepare monthly financial statements including adjusting entries
- Prepare financial reports including financial variance analysis
- Reconciliation of all accounts
- Quarterly HST and WSIB if required. reports
- Audit preparation and reporting
- Daily Dashboard of sales and affiliate transaction data
Payroll & Benefits:
- Review and ensure accuracy of timesheets, record and maintain employee holiday, sick, and overtime records
- Process payroll (RRSP contributions, payroll deductions)
- Responsible for setup of payroll and benefit packages for all new employees
Banking & Deposits:
- Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, GST/HST remittances
- Monitor cash flow balance
- Prepare deposits, review affiliate database, and affiliate deposits
- Bank reconciliations general account, reconcile online sales, bank transfers, petty cash
- Reconcile sales and commissions made via Paypal
Software & IT:
- Identify reconciliation issues and make recommendations for correcting issues
- Manage all aspect of the accounting software
- Responsible for maintenance, training, and upgrades
- Make recommendations for modernizing accounting protocols and integrating software into the our standard accounting practices
- Develop and maintain a culture of open communication with the team
- Professional and courteous language and writing skills
- Document all processes and develop best practices
- Be comfortable directly contacting advertisers, affiliates, clients, vendors, and staff
Strategic Planning & Budgeting:
- In conjunction with the Managing Director and departmental consultation, prepare the annual operating and capital budgets
- Develop an annual work plan for each brand
- You are keen and passionate about working in a non traditional environment - we a not a traditional “corporate” environment.
- Undergraduate business degree with a focus on accounting or finance preferred
- Experience using an online accounting application ideal: XERO or QuickBooks online accounting software preferred
- Business English - Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability of intelligent initiative and detail oriented.
- Technologically savvy - PC/MAC and Mobile phone as well as exposure to other digital devices (i.e. tablets, MP3 players, etc).
- Keen interest in Media; Publishing - Print & Digital, Internet, Social Media, Broadcast Television, Movies, Documentaries, Music, Live Events, Journalism & Currents Events.
- Google Documents and Spreadsheets and/or Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency
- Experience in Digital Media, Internet Marketing and/or Publishing industries.
- You have a portfolio of your thought provoking and analytical work; accounting and financial analysis.
- Know your way around Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Google Apps.especially Google Analytics, Google Drive
- You have worked with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Fireworks and Dreamweaver and/or you have programming experience.
- You have been exposed to and/or used Basecamp,Camtasia, Screenflow, Skype and Evernote in your projects.
- You read, write and speak another language.
We are primarily a virtual organization. We are flexible and believe in a rewarding work environment.
- Opportunity to make a difference for women worldwide - using your voice and skills - to effect positive change.
- Environment of continuous learning,awareness and growth.
- Ability to own and deliver projects that you create, investigate, plan and execute. You are your results.
- Recognition for Innovation, Provocation, Hard Work, Influence and Results!
- Potential for Full Time Position and additional roles.
Goddess Connections is an equal opportunity workplace.
Duties and responsibilities may be adjusted based on years of experience.
Once hired, you will start off with a Pilot Project ( possibly unpaid ) to see the fit between both parties.
Salary is also commensurate with experience.