Taking a holistic view of core infrastructure and application delivery systems, this position is responsible for maintaining and improving a suite of software products as well as developing core service and application enhancements to improve execution, usability and manageability of the Edmunds.com site. Our software organization is an open environment where the best idea wins, with a culture of lean thinking, where value is proved through fast iteration. It is expected that the solutions created by the senior software engineer will consist of a variety of deliverables including: early prototypes, high level designs, production ready code, assistance troubleshooting issues and evangelization to ensure widespread option of the solution throughout the organization
• Application development / enhancement using Java/J2EE and other open source technologies.
• Ensure that the delivered system matches the functionality specified through systematic testing.
• Develop project documents such as design specifications, use cases, project plans, test plans, status reports, deployment hand-offs, and incident analysis.
• Provide day-to-day application-level troubleshooting and problem resolution. This includes using engineering judgment to identify and communicate the right level of detail to support business and technical prioritization.
• Work closely with various teams to coordinate product releases.
• Initiate and participate in code reviews both intra- and inter-team in order to provide timely feedback to individual contributors as well as continually improve the codebase.
• Actively improve existing project and operational processes through introspective analysis and periodic team retrospectives.
persistenence and polyglot programmers ready to apply non-JVM experiences a plus.
• Experience with Test Driven Development using open source frameworks (Preferred TestNG, Selenium RC, JMeter)
• Experience and desire to go deeper with Solr, MongoDB and Hadoop.
• Understanding and experience with software engineering practices including design, version/change control, configuration management, continuous integration, test strategies, data conversion, etc.
• Curiosity about new technologies and practices along with the discipline to identify methods to self-prototype, identify appropriate opportunities to apply them, and communication skills to evangelize them inside the organization.
At Edmunds.com we’re driven to make car buying easier. As one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, almost 18 million visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting edge technology.
A few of the perks:
Employees think it's a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we've been recognized as one of the best places to work by the LA Business Journal (for the last 4 years!), Wall Street Journal, Business Week Magazine and Architectural Record. If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we'd love to hear from you!