Math Instructor (Saturday Academy) - Upward Bound Sun Valley at Volunteers of...
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income familiies and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increate the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
The Math Instructor is responsible for providing academic assistance to assigned students in group sessions. This position is only on selected Saturdays from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm.
The Math Instructor:
- Provides academic instruction to high school students (grades 9 through 12) to improve academic performance in mathematics
- Creates weekly lesson plans to support learning goals
- Delivers formal instruction to enhance results on standardized tests (CAHSEE, CST, SAT, ACT, etc.)
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of mathematics and in improving academic capabilities
- Bachelor's degree required (Master's preferred)
- Minimum of 1 - 2 years of teaching experience
- Demonostrated high level of competency in mathematics
- Proven ability to assess academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic setting
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting project participants
- Experience teaching content knowledge to disadvantaged high school students