Instructor Chemistry - Upward Bound Los Angeles at Volunteers of America Los ...
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRIO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provide fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
The Summer Chemistry Instructor:
- Develops and plans a six-week summer course for high school students in accordance with California Content Standards.
- Prepares and submits subject syllabi, weekly lesson plans, & weekly participant evaluation reports
- Administers weekly assessments and assigns a midterm and final letter grade with a brief evaluation of participants' academic strengths, progress, and recommendations for further improvement.
- Possession of a California Single Subject Teaching Credential
- Minimum of two years experience teaching at the secondary level (6-12)
- Familiarity working with low-income, first-generation high school students
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting project participants