Senior Software Engineering - Messaging at Twilio Inc. in San Francisco, CA
- Twilio is powering the future of business communications, providing a platform for building modern, communications–enabled applications - light, cloud-based, scalable, and user experience focused.
- Nearly 200,000 developers use Twilio including start ups, Fortune 100 companies, and both major political parties.
- We are funded by top tier investors, have a great team and revenues are growing FAST.
- Twilio customers include great brands like airbnb, eBay, Hulu, Intuit, LinkedIn, Quora, Sony, SurveyMonkey, Trulia, WalmartLabs, and ZenDesk.
- Twilio is energizing the $1.3 trillion telecom market. Come help modernize an enormous industry with software.
Within the first 6 months of work, you will design, prototype, implement and deploy one or more major, mission-critical services underlying Twilio's messaging APIs. The process will include developing an early understanding of the product, hosting design review sessions, documenting design and code details and participating in periodic peer code- reviews. The resulting service will require integration with other existing Twilio systems. as well with Twilio's performance and availability monitoring suite.
- Write maintainable code with extensive test coverage, working in a professional software engineerin environment (with source contro, dev/stage/pro release cycle, continuous deployment) - cowboy coders need not apply.
- Provide expertise to the team in solving complex networking problems involving millions of clients distributed around the world.
- Collaborate across the company and interact with our customers (software engineers) to define, design and build new APIs.
- Tackle complex problems in distributed computing, virtualization performance, distributed queing, and more.
Twilio places a high premium on engineers with a deep commitment to quality and a demonstrated understanding of underlying technologies. To apply for this role of Senior Software Engineer, you should have some of all of the following:
- A Bachelors or preferably Masters degree in Computer Science of Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Strong background in designing and writing network applications. In-depth knowledge of TCP/UDP, WAN networking, system-level network performance is critical for this role. You should be able to explain how NAT traversal works in detail.
- Experience with concurrency, multi-threaded programmimg, and scaling distributed, highly available systems
- 3-5+ years of engineering experience with Python, PHP, C, C++ or Java
- Solid knowledge of unit and integration testing methodologies, and the ability to write, debug and deploy testing frameworks
- Experience with traditional RDBMS databases, such as MySQL, Postgre, Oracle, etc. is highly desirable.
- Good communication, organization and project managment skills.
- Notable contributions to open source software projects
- An academic conference or journal publication
- Experience with Service Oriented Architectures, layer 3 and 7 load balancers, and monitoring tools
- Knowledge of document, key/ value or other non-relational database system such as Redis, HBase, BigTable, Dynamo, etc.
- Full benefits, including medical, dental and vision
- An Amazon Kindle on your first day, and a $30/month to spend on books (Twilio wants you informed)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Catered lunches and a weekly team dinner featuring invited technology and entrepreneurial speakers
- Excellent gear
- Twilio track jacket and shoes after demoing your first Twilio app in front of the company!
- A strong belief in life/work balance
How to apply:
- Want to stand out? Sign up and build an app using the Twilio API. Include a link to it in your cover letter. Bonus points for pointing out bugs or things that annoyed you/could be better about the platform.