Datacenter Operations Engineer at Turn in Redwood City, CA
Turn delivers real-time insights that transform the way leading advertising agencies and marketers make decisions. Our cloud applications and Internet-scale architecture work together to provide a complete picture of customers, execute cross-channel campaigns, and connect with a worldwide ecosystem of over 100 partners. Turn is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices in Amsterdam, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, and San Francisco. Company revenue has more than doubled every year of Turn’s existence. For more information, visit turn.com or follow @turnplatform.
Please take a moment to view our culture video at: http://www.turn.com/working-at-turn/
This role enables the deployment and ongoing operation of our technical infrastructure in state-of-the-art computer datacenters worldwide. You will be part of the Technical Operations team for a fast-growing, successful start-up in the online data-driven advertising business. This team is responsible for the continuous, successful operation of our company’s core assets – the engine of our business.
Our infrastructure is growing fast, and we typically handle multiple large datacenter design, procurement, ordering, and deployment projects simultaneously. You will be an integral part of these projects and help our company continue its successful global expansion.
- Maintain, contribute to, and improve documentation of datacenter deployment and automation tools, using open-source, custom in-house developed, and COTS toolsets.
- Perform various tasks during new datacenter implementation and commissioning projects.
- Responsible for the deployment, cabling, and cleanliness of key machines, routers, computer servers, and infrastructure pieces in our main data center.
- Linux / FreeBSD system administration, BIOS configuration, driver updates, hardware testing and replacement responsibilities. Detailed system troubleshooting, hardware replacement, and vendor support case management responsibilities.
- Programming and scripting experience preferred. Please provide code samples.
- Mentor junior team members and help foster positive environment and team spirit.
- Ability to work flexible hours, to accomplish our build-out goals. Comfortable participating in 24x7 on-call rotation to address datacenter incidents or hardware failure.
- Must be able to lift, and secure system equipment up to 65 lbs.
- Operate label machines, organize hardware, install equipment and connect networks.
- Must be able to climb a 6 foot ladder, lay cross-connections of fiber and copper cables, and follow precise technical instructions on deployment of cabling and equipment.
- Above all, a friendly, neat, task-oriented and self motivated team player is sought to assist us in key activities of building our infrastructure.
- We offer an exciting, start-up culture including smart people. Comfort with a fast-paced startup culture is required for success in this position.
- Location is based in Redwood City, with travel to multiple datacenter locations.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering (or related technical discipline) preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Ability and interest to thoroughly document work is mandatory.
- Experience in data centers and mission-critical environment. Experience in 24x7 on-call and sysadmin teams preferred.
- Ability and interest to work with shipping, moving equipment, cabling, clean-up and deploying new technology is a must.
- Ability to periodically travel within the US and to Europe, Asia and Latin America is required.
Location: Redwood City
In addition to our great environment, we offer a competitive base salary, bonus program, stock options, employee development programs and other comprehensive benefits. Please send a cover letter along with your resume when applying to the position of interest located at Turn.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls and no recruiting agencies, please.