Project Manager - Konobo Construction at Tiyatien Health in Ziah Town, Grand ...
Africa faces a shortage of 1.5 million health workers. The continent suffers 33% of the world’s maternal and child disease, yet has only 3% of the global health workforce. Nowhere is the crisis worse than in rural areas of Liberia, which was left with just 51 doctors after its 14-year civil war. Today, people in remote villages of southeastern Liberia have to walk up to 17 hours to reach a clinic.
Founded by survivors of Liberia’s civil war, Tiyatien Health is a start-up NGO that is redefining how post-conflict nations rebuild rural public health services. Filling the massive health worker shortage in rural post-conflict areas, we recruit and train villagers to serve as frontline health workers, delivering comprehensive home-based medical and social services in villages previously thought unreachable.
We are growing quickly. Our initial cadre of frontline health workers delivers more than 2,000 home patients a month and has made HIV, epilepsy, and depression treatment available for a rural population of 23,000 people. This year, TH will be expanding our services to a population of 34,000 people in Liberia's remote Konobo District.
Tiyatien Health closely partners with the Liberian Ministry of Health, Partners In Health, Clinton Global Initiative, and Harvard Medical School, amongst others. Our frontline health worker model has been recognized by Echoing Green, PopTech, and the Mulago Foundation.
As part of our deployment to the Konobo District, Tiyatien Health plans to build a new office compound in Ziah Town, starting project planning in December and aiming to complete construction by the end of May. In February, TH will also begin a smaller-scale renovation of the Ziah Town Health Center, expected to last several months. Tiyatien Health is seeking a dynamic and confident project manager with experience in Liberia who can manage these construction projects.
Reporting to the Program Director, the Construction Project Manager will be responsible for all tasks associated with shepherding this project to successful conclusion, including managing the selection of vendors, overseeing construction, coordinating internal TH decision-making for the project, and serving as a point of accountability for on-time completion. This position will extend until the completion of both construction projects.
- Participate in the tender process: work closely with Tiyatien Staff and Ministry of Public Works to select a suitable contractor for the project.
- Drawing from an approved design and bill of quantity, respond to supplier and contractor bids, and initiate construction within the first two months of employment.
- Manage the project budget, establishing a clear plan for procurement of supplies and payment of all labor costs; follow all TH expense documentation and approval protocols for project expenditures.
- Work with selected contractor(s) to establish a schedule for construction, making changes to workplans as necessary to ensure on-time completion.
- Consult with engineers and other technical experts as necessary to ensure construction standards are maintained.
- Provide regular briefings on project progress to the Konobo site team, the Liberia operations team, and TH executive management.
- Liaise with stakeholders across TH to ensure that the final product of construction matches TH’s needs and mission.
- Confidently and respectfully solicit the involvement of the appropriate TH staff persons (ie., management, logistics, finance, etc.) for each stage of the construction project.
- Oversee the work of the selected contractor(s) to ensure it complies with all terms and conditions of applicable contracts – especially regarding procurement policies and employment of local labor.
- Assume responsibility for implementing strenuous fraud prevention efforts and holding contractors and vendors accountable to contract terms.
- As necessary, travel between Monrovia, Zwedru, and Ziah Town to manage each stage of the project.
- Adhere to Tiyatien Health’s financial, behavior and ethics policies.
- At least a university level education is required
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience managing multi-phased projects and budgets
- Experience working in Liberia, especially extensive experience working with Liberian nationals preferably in rural environments.
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills required.
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Demonstrated experience managing a project budget preferred
- Basic understanding of construction practices a plus.
- Must be able work independently while remaining accountable to supervisors
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and community empowerment.
Compensation and Benefits:
- 6,000 USD for entire contract term of 4 - 6 months (may be subject to revision in the event of significant unforeseen delays)
- Housing in Tiyatien Health guest facilities in Monrovia, Zwedru, and Ziah Town
- Transportation around Liberia as needed for TH business