Senior Systems Engineer / DevOps at Threadless in Chicago, IL
About This Role:
We are looking for a senior systems engineer and devops champion who can rangle and tame: linux, networks, real and virtual servers, databases, systems performance, cloud providers, security issues, site analytics, reporting, and the internet in general. This position is for a rockstar that can keep Threadless.com screaming fast, manage our automatic rapid fire deployments, and control our massive armies of automated systems and services like a tyrant robot overlord. Even though you will reign supreme over the machines you must work well in a highly collaborative environment with talent raging from fellow technologist to artists to the Threadless customer service staff.
We're people from all over the world who come together to make great art.
We started with tees, but tons of products make great canvases. We work with partners to find these canvases for our artists, but it's our community who makes and picks the best art. The weird art. The geeky art. The beautiful art. So when you buy from us, you support great art.
Threadless. Make Great Together
BS in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of network, database, operating system, hardware experience
- 5+ years of experience with supporting web site architecture (PHP and/or Python/Django)
- Experience with AWS or Rackspace Cloud.
- Database experience (master/slave replication, data modeling, SQL writing, schema migrations, ETL processes, troubleshooting, optimization)
- Experience using automation technologies like Chef or Puppet.
- Using version control systems like SVN and/or Git. You have a good understanding of branching, merging, and deployment in to production systems.
- Working knowledge of load/function testing tools (Soasta, Sahi, Selenium, Bees with Machine guns)
- Experience in a Scrum development environment a plus
- Expertise: Linux, MySQL, Apache, AWS/Rackspace Cloud, Google Apps management, Switching/Routing(Dell Procurve or Cisco equivalent), DNS, shell, PCI Compliance Policies and auditing
- Familiarity with VMWare ESXi, PFSense, F5 Load Balancers, Aerohive Wifi APs or equivalent mesh wifi
- Ability to use DevOps methodologies to facilitate: agile software development, frequent releases, cloud systems automation, and quality assurance automation.
- Practical use of modern web frameworks
What You're Like:
- Amazing sense of humor
- Smart, but modest
- Disciplined self-starter, dependable and willing to go the extra mile to deliver great results
- Ability to thrive and lead small project focused teams
- Ability to interact effectively, confidently and credibly with peers and senior team members across the company
- Curious and interested in understanding how existing functionality fits together
- Interested in the future of the Internet, and how it will shape humanity