User Experience Designer at The Clymb in Portland, OR
User Experience Designer
A User Experience Designer at The Clymb balances strategic creative thinking, aesthetic consideration, information architecture, and technical expertise to create and inform innovative online interactive solutions. A UX Designer in the world of e-commerce understands that a consistent, unique and positive customer experience plays a pivotal role in conversion. The UX Designer interfaces between departments, helping harmonize efforts and interests to ensure the best possible customer experience in both project-specific and product-wide initiatives.
- Effectively communicate ideas and collaborate with members of product management, creative, editorial, marketing, merchandising, engineering and customer service teams
- Help define The Clymb’s visual language with an emphasis on consistency, brand presence and innovation
- Design and implement UI elements throughout the Clymb properties
Work directly with the Director of Product to:
- Help plan the product roadmap and provide input from a UX perspective
- Identify weak points in the current product experience and define solutions
Work directly with the Design Director to:
- Review and refine UI & UX initiatives from an aesthetic and brand-sensitive point of view
- Plan and continue the development of a strong, consistent visual language with accompanying design pattern libraries and style guides
- Work with Designers on the Brand Marketing and Graphic Production team to provide direction when UI/UX-related design or production tasks have been assigned to them
Work directly with [front-end] Developers on the Engineering team to:
- Ensure quality and consistency of implementation according to concept
- Conduct UX-related QA and final-pass ‘polish’ on features pending release
Present new ideas to management and key stakeholders
- Keep ideas moving and visible by using a collaborative space
- Present concepts in a formal and accessible manner
- Be involved with the Engineering workflow to take on UX-related QA and polish efforts for code under development or pending release
Stay current in the wider world of design and technology
- Keep up with new innovations / inspiration, sharing them when relevant
- Attend job-related conventions and workshops
- Exercise an uncompromising attention to detail, especially with visual communication (color, layout, typography), interactive experiences, and development practices
- Be able to inform effective design and user interaction patterns across the Clymb properties through consideration of analytics and aesthetics
- Use design and presentation software (from Balsamiq Mockups to the Adobe Creative Suite) to create and convey concepts and solutions
- Use Git version control software according to the Engineering team’s workflow
- Become familiar with the structure of the product codebase and the Engineering team’s desired development style (i.e. use of SCSS vs CSS, Ruby Slim vs ERB)
- User Experience Designer currently reports to the Design Director
- Growth path for this role would be to Senior / Lead UX designer, contingent on exemplary performance in execution and embodiment of roles and responsibilities outlined above
- Other growth opportunities are TBD
The Clymb is a private retail community - connecting premium outdoor brands with passionate, influential end-users. A dedication to innovation, customer service and brand stewardship have helped us become the fastest growing e-tailer in the outdoor industry. We work hard so we can play hard and we use the gear we sell. If you're as passionate about innovation as you are the outdoors, come join us at our Portland, OR headquarters. Good Things Come to Those Who Clymb™
How to Apply:
- Attach your résumé.
- Provide a link to your portfolio.
- Tell us why you belong here.
- Provide three professional references - include in the cover letter.
- Provide salary history from three most recent jobs - include in the cover letter.