VP, Engineering at TastemakerX in San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA, USA
Are you looking for that killer opportunity to join an early stage startup and lead a team in tackling software and infrastructure challenges using the solutions you believe in? Do you crave rolling up your sleeves and digging into fun technology as a critical member of a growing team? Then TastemakerX is looking for you!
About the Role
The VP of Engineering at TastemakerX will work closely with the CTO and Founders to lead the engineering team in developing the product and delivering on the vision of the company. This person will own the engineering lifecycle - from collaborative ideas on a whiteboard to deployment.
Here are some of the initiatives and challenges you will tackle in this position:
- Platform - Lead the next rev of the platform to take us to 1M players and beyond
- API - lead our public API rollout, from strategy to execution
- Recommendation - refine and expand upon our current recommendation and discovery algorithms
- Security & Fraud Detection - establish mechanism and intelligence for hardening the platform and detecting fraud in our take on a massively multiplayer game.
- Reporting infrastructure - work with the CTO to create real-time reporting tools and processes which will inform future product direction and stability
- Optimization - help optimize the application across the web and mobile platforms
- Scaling - lead the engineers responsible for application and database horizontal and vertical scaling in a cloud environment
- Deployment - ensure that the application is being developed and deployed in as rapid a fashion as possible through Continuous Integration & Deployment
- Manage the process of attracting and recruiting top-tier engineers to expand the team while maintaining product roadmap goals.
- Demonstrate leadership by rolling up your sleeves and working alongside the team to ensure the product is high quality and delivered on time.
- Run point, with the CTO, for technical decisions and technical project management for product development.
- Work with the CTO to ensure that we have the technology and team required to put out the best possible product
- You like to innovate with current open source technology with a focus on the user experience.
- You confidently deliver a product on-time that is high quality and take pride in the fact that it will scale and experience very little downtime.
- You flourish in an environment that is fast-paced, scrum based, and places both responsibility and reward on each member of the team, both as a team and individually.
TastemakerX is a mobile social game that allows players to express musical taste by building virtual, 'followable' portfolios of the artists they love. Our mission is to connect people who love music all over the world and the artists they follow. TastemakerX is growing and needs talented, motivated people to join us in that mission.
TastemakerX is led by CEO and co-founder Marc Ruxin and CTO/CPO and co-founder Sandro Pugliese. We are backed by Guggenheim Ventures, Baseline, True Ventures, Tekton Ventures, and AOL Ventures; with angel investors and advisors who include: John Battelle, Marc Geiger, Andrew Anker, Mich Mathews, Ted Rheingold, Paul Bricault, Ian Rogers, Mike Lazerow and others.
We're growing, well-funded and need someone pronto. If you're interested in joining the TastemakerX team, please send your resume, your portfolio, and a cover letter (required) telling us what inspires you and why you think you are perfect for the team. If you contribute to an open source project, write a blog, or do something other than design, we would love to hear about it in the cover letter.