Human Resources Assistant (Volunteer) at TakingITGlobal in Toronto, ON, Canada
This part-time opportunity is for someone looking to develop their experience working in the field of Human Resources Management in a fast-paced and dynamic not-for-profit workspace. Working between our downtown Toronto office and virtually under the stewardship of the Operation Manager and in conjunction with our current HR Assistant, our ideal candidate will demonstratively possess a passion for the not-for-profit sector, experience in Human Resources, Personnel and Office Administration and a strong willingness to learn. Our goal is to provide a unique, hands-on training opportunity, working with you to develop and improve our HR resources here at TIG. In addition to the HR focus, this role also includes daily responsibilities associated with Office Administration including handling phones, mail and basically what you would expect.
Why volunteer at TakingITGlobal?
- Have an impact! TakingITGlobal's programs reached millions of users last year, empowering young people in over 200 countries to express themselves, develop understanding, and take action to address social issues in their communities and around the world.
- Expand your horizons! TakingITGlobal has a strong international reputation within the non-profit, government, and corporate sectors. Your experience and strengthened skills will be respected by future employers and TakingITGlobal's collaborative nature means volunteers grow a solid professional network and gain experience vital for future job opportunities.
- Be part of a vibrant team! TakingITGlobal is a open, collaborative environment recognized as a WorldBlu Democratic Workplace and committed to fun wellness activites. Although headquartered in Toronto, TIG is an international organization and you'll have the opportunity to be inspired by partners and team members from all over the world!
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Support the hiring processes from the stage of co-developing appropriate job descriptions with Operations and Program Managers, posting and promoting full-time and volunteer internship positions
- Screening applicants in accordance with TakingITGlobal recruitment guidelines, scheduling and conducting interviews and providing input to managers who make the final hiring decision.
- Assist in coordinating the induction / on-boarding process, including development and updating of orientation materials
- Assist in the preparation of contracts and the creation of templates for existing forms
- Ensure effective design and implementation of orientation and training for new staff, interns and volunteers, including updating of orientation materials under tight deadlines
- Ensuring regular updating of contracts for volunteers and employees to secure up-to-date records at all times
- Updating the HR system and reviewing sick/vacation/overtime/work-remotely days with team on a weekly basis
- Ensure regularity of Progress Reviews and appropriate recognition for staff performance as assessed by Managers for staff and interns
- Provide one-on-one trainings for tasks not covered during orientations
- Prepare for recognition of staff members birthdays and farewell events (ie. purchasing of card, gift)
- Support and prepare materials for weekly staff meeting by opening and announcing monthly employee recognition program and weekly staff updates
- Regular updates and communication with TIG Alumni to engage as mentors for current interns and staff in support of knowledge transfer and training
- Research and apply for internship positions (ie. Canada Summer Jobs)
- Providing recommendations for improving overall program objectives
Responding to e-mails from members of the TakingITGlobal online community and educators using TIGed.org
Answering phone calls, taking and passing on messages efficiently
Taking out the mail, preparing packages to be shipped including labels
Keeping the office organized and tidy, keeping track of staff activities
Prepare packages and promotional materials to be sent
Digitizing and organizing business cards and contact information
Assisting in organizing staff in-office events such as staff gatherings and assisting with organizing more public events
- Maintaining and adding content to the TakingITGlobal website via the user- friendly admin system. This would include approving and adding organizations, events, scholarships, articles and other aspects of content in English, French and any other languages spoken.
College or Undergraduate recent graduate or student
Detail oriented and well organized
Good written and oral communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills.
Ability to work in a fast-paced office environment with multiple priorities
Proficient on MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Explorer)
Willingness to learn new things and eagerness to acquire new skills
Significant interest in youth-related issues and experience working with young people from a wide variety of cultures
High level of internet literacy and understanding of online communities (i.e. MySpace, LiveJournal, Facebook, Friendster, etc.)
Interested in social change, youth development and the mission and vision of TakingITGlobal
- Knowledge of any other languages considered an asset
This position is offered on an initial 4-month volunteer basis with possibility of renewal. We are looking for someone who is able to commit 20 hours per week, working 2 days per week at the TakingITGlobal office and 4 hours weekly working remotely from their home. The successful candidate may request a travel stipend.
This volunteer position is part of the TakingITGlobal Fall Internship Program Cycle with the following details:
Duration: 4 months (September - December)
Hours: 20 hours per week (16 in Toronto office, 4 remote)
Application Deadline: July 19, 2013
Orientation Day: September 3rd, 2013