Content Engineer at POPSUGAR in San Francisco, CA
Content is the bread and butter of the ShopStyle experience. Our international portfolio of hundreds of retailers and thousands of big label fashion products make shopping for the hottest products and the best deals in fashion a breeze. It takes sharp, motivated, and innovative people to make this experience a reality. The ShopStyle Content Team seeks a strong tools engineer to help us reach, and surpass, our goals.
You possess a mix of strong UNIX scripting and familiarity with Java programming. You know databases and text processing. You have experience defining and implementing tools and metrics for quality control, and a knack for creative solutions to tricky problems. DRY and KISS are guiding principles for you. We're a startup, which means you must be a self-starter and understand the value of sharing your knowledge. Additionally, having top-notch communication skills will be indispensable when working with our tight, dynamic, and diverse engineering and marketing teams.
- Develop automated test tools and processes for continuous content acquisition for a large retail product database
- Refine existing product categorization rules and define new rules as necessary
- Monitor existing continuous content acquisition process, report and triage issues, and review/verify fixes as necessary
- Define and measure quality metrics for new and existing data integration projects
- Contribute to existing content acquisition codebase
- Document and test all work
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- At least 2 years of experience with Perl and Bash. Knowing when to use the right tool for the job is a must
- Experience working with XML, including schema/DTD development and XSL transformation techniques, SAX and DOM parsers, etc
- Strong SQL skills (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQLServer)
- Strong UNIX skills, and the ability to work closely with systems administrators
- Strong debugging skills
- Understanding of source control (Subversion, git, Perforce) strategy and application
- Previous experience with web crawling and business-to-business data integration
- A love of learning new things, and passion for giving our users the best possible experience
- Experience with Java programming language, Hibernate or other ORM tools
- Experience with Python, Ruby, and other languages
- Fluency in French or German is a huge plus.
To apply, please submit a resume and a description about why you would be a good fit for the position. Our engineering offices are in downtown San Francisco