Development Lead at Square Root in Austin, TX
Square Root is hiring: Development Lead
About Square Root
Based in Austin, TX, Square Root is a leading edge enterprise SaaS provider with a rapidly growing team of technology innovators. In 2013, Inc. magazine ranked Square Root as the 41st fastest-growing, privately held software company in America on the Inc. 500ǀ5000 list.
Square Root has grown its team and customer base by standing by its founding principle: data should empower. Square Root’s cloud-based software leverages advanced data analytics to help businesses improve overall performance. Today, some of the biggest automotive, energy, and retail players use Square Root’s platforms and applications to optimize their daily operations.
Square Root’s Radical Culture
Our culture is at the core of everything we do. We have fun, but we work hard. So, as we grow we’re not only looking to hire the best and brightest, but we’re also looking for people that share our values. This is the code we live by:
- Think big. Do bigger. We think big ideas are meant to be pursued. So, we think critically and have a bias for action and impact. We continually iterate to deliver smarter direction and better software.
- Be customer-inspired. We aim to over-deliver and delight by doing what’s best, not just what’s asked. That’s why we make it a priority to understand how our customers operate and the challenges that they face. We look for inspiration in the details so that we can deliver relevant and impactful solutions.
- Partner. We build strong relationships by having a partnership mindset – internally and externally. We go above and beyond to help our customers and one another succeed.
- Thrive. We set our internal bar high so that we can bring enthusiasm, speed, and innovation to the enterprise. We empower each Square Root employee to take ownership, act, and iterate to make everything we do – from work product to working environment – better. We revere personal drive, growth, and balance. We celebrate successes, and, sometimes, we just celebrate.
Square Root Perks
- No dress code, office hours, or vacation policy – only results matter
- A small, innovative team with a passion for making a huge impact on large, enterprise customers
- Competitive benefits and compensation
- Modern-retro downtown offices
- Team lunches, stocked kitchens, coffee-snob compliant coffee machines
- Regular office happy hours and a full office bar including local beer on tap and an expansive scotch collection
Behind every successful delivery team is a great development lead. Our leads mentor and direct the work of one to three scrum teams, which are primarily staffed with offshore developers. The development lead serves as the critical communication link, working closely with product managers to understand the vision behind the requirements and with individual developers to define, estimate, and deliver solutions in an agile manner. Our leads have solid technical backgrounds as well as business acumen. We expect our development leads to focus on delivering the right technical solution to produce real business value. In this role, you'll need to review and provide technical feedback on the solutions your teams are building, and you'll need to have a good sense of what is needed to design enterprise-class web architecture. Do you thrive on figuring out how to build the right thing to solve a business challenge? Do you get a rush after successfully implementing a software solution? If so, let's talk.
- 5+ years software engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience with technical leadership of small teams, with offshore/nearshore experience a plus
- Familiarity with agile software development processes and iterative delivery cycles
- Ability to estimate and set delivery timelines, and to perform well under deadlines
- Excellent understanding of computer science and software engineering fundamentals and practices
- Strength in full-stack web application development
- Experience in Ruby on Rails or strong interest to learn it
- A thirst for learning and understanding current development best practices, trends, and techniques
- A positive attitude, a sense of humor, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Self-motivation, extraordinary attention to detail, and an internal drive to produce high quality work