Database Engineer / Data Management Guru at Square Root in Austin, TX
At Square Root, we build enterprise software solutions backed by data intelligence and customer-inspired product strategy. With the agility of a start-up and the expertise of an industry veteran, Square Root is successfully breaking down some of the most difficult challenges facing the automotive, technology and energy industries. Our rapidly growing team of passionate problem solvers embraces the idea of “Think big, do bigger.”
Our culture is at the core of everything we do. We have fun, but we work hard. So, as we grow we’re not only looking to hire the best and brightest, but we’re also looking for people that share our values. We make decisions on three simple principles:
- Excellence: We aim to over-deliver and delight. We want our customers, employees and partners to love us. We set our internal bar high so that we can bring enthusiasm, speed, and innovation to the enterprise.
- Progress: We believe that growth is an exciting and motivating challenge that retains great people. So, we empower our employees to take ownership, act and iterate to make everything we do better.
- Fun: Life is too short to hate your job. We have the luxury of picking what we work on, and we choose what motivates us. Work will sometimes be work, but we try to minimize the suck. We have a relaxed, collaborative environment. We celebrate our successes, and sometimes, we just celebrate.
We have the start-up mentality, without the start-up financial headaches. We are profitable, compensate well, and have great benefits – including beer on tap. If you’re a go-getter who values these things too, we want to hear from you.
Our business is built on understanding our customers' data more deeply than they do. We have a broad range of web, behavioral, descriptive, financial, and operational data on consumers, companies, and dealers in the automotive industry. Nearly every Square Root project involves integrating heterogeneous, unstructured data, making sense of it with little help, mining it for insights, and applying it in novel ways to solve business problems.
As our business doubles every year, the complexity of our data warehouse grows even faster.
- We need you to make data management an ever-greater differentiator for Square Root by:
- Maintaining our dozens of data sources and import schedules and processes to deliver 100% reliability and integrity, even in the face of poor-quality source data
- Applying innovation, intelligence, and heuristic approaches to our ETL rather than standard, fixed brute-force rules
- Continuously enhancing our technology platform and toolsets as new problems arise: building and buying when appropriate
- Becoming a subject matter expert in the data itself, to apply better semantic checks and structure the data more intelligently than anyone else could
- Building an agile version management and production release process for data
- Ensuring our data warehouse scales appropriately as our data sets grow
- Working with our customers to help them develop more agile internal data management processes
We use a range of tools and technologies: SQL Server, Oracle, bash, Perl, Python, SQL, Informatica, etc. We are looking for someone who has a deep understanding of ETL concepts but is not just a DBA or ETL developer, who is not wedded to any particular toolkit, and who is comfortable with programming, algorithmic thinking, automated testing, and pushing the envelope on agile database development and process automation. This position is perfect for a data junkie with a development bent.
- Bachelor's degree in CS, or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years of work history managing complex data sets with novel, fault-tolerant approaches. (Significantly more compensation is available for those with deeper experience.)
- Track record of success in using diverse technologies and approaches to manage data in an extremely dynamic environment.
- Comfort with and commitment to being our technology lead in a critical area of our business.
- Convenient & Modern-retro downtown offices
- Catered team lunches, stocked kitchens, coffee-snob compliant coffee machines
- Great beer on tap, scotch collection, full bar, and regular happy hours
- Small team + Austin startup vibe + large customers = huge impact
- No dress code, office hours, or vacation policy – only results matter
- Competitive benefits package