Data Scientist at Square Root in Austin, TX
Square Root is hiring: Data Scientist
About Square Root
Based in Austin, TX, Square Root is a leading edge enterprise SaaS provider with a rapidly growing team of technology innovators. In 2013, Inc. magazine ranked Square Root as the 41st fastest-growing, privately held software company in America on the Inc. 500ǀ5000 list.
Square Root has grown its team and customer base by standing by its founding principle: data should empower. Square Root’s cloud-based software leverages advanced data analytics to help businesses improve overall performance. Today, some of the biggest automotive, energy, and retail players use Square Root’s platforms and applications to optimize their daily operations.
Square Root’s Radical Culture
Our culture is at the core of everything we do. We have fun, but we work hard. So, as we grow we’re not only looking to hire the best and brightest, but we’re also looking for people that share our values. This is the code we live by:
- Think big. Do bigger. We think big ideas are meant to be pursued. So, we think critically and have a bias for action and impact. We continually iterate to deliver smarter direction and better software.
- Be customer-inspired. We aim to over-deliver and delight by doing what’s best, not just what’s asked. That’s why we make it a priority to understand how our customers operate and the challenges that they face. We look for inspiration in the details so that we can deliver relevant and impactful solutions.
- Partner. We build strong relationships by having a partnership mindset – internally and externally. We go above and beyond to help our customers and one another succeed.
- Thrive. We set our internal bar high so that we can bring enthusiasm, speed, and innovation to the enterprise. We empower each Square Root employee to take ownership, act, and iterate to make everything we do – from work product to working environment – better. We revere personal drive, growth, and balance. We celebrate successes, and, sometimes, we just celebrate.
Square Root Perks
- No dress code, office hours, or vacation policy – only results matter
- A small, innovative team with a passion for making a huge impact on large, enterprise customers
- Competitive benefits and compensation
- Modern-retro downtown offices
- Team lunches, stocked kitchens, coffee-snob compliant coffee machines
- Regular office happy hours and a full office bar including local beer on tap and an expansive scotch collection
Our data scientists do everything from data prep to data mining and statistical analysis to business presentation. They are pivotal to our projects from start to finish, developing the entire path from business problem statement to data-driven solution recommendation. Data scientists need to be good at both asking the right questions and finding creative, technically rigorous answers.
Square Root data scientists work with detailed data that describes the inner workings of the automotive industry: consumer web-browsing and purchase information, customer demographics and psychographics, vehicle production and delivery specs and schedules, vehicle sales performance and history, incentives, repair information, dealership operations, etc. They dream up and answer big questions: What makes some dealerships more successful than others? How much sales lift comes from incentives? What kind of marketing is effective? What mix of product packages and features should be manufactured? How many will sell? Who is likely to buy an electric car?
We don't specialize in particular algorithms or modeling approaches -- we are always learning and looking for the best approach to the problem at hand. The best candidates will have both exceptional technical/statistical skills and strong business acumen, and be interested in fast-paced work and varied responsibilities. They will be knowledgeable and capable enough to find a way to leverage data to answer nearly any automotive business question, choosing their own analytical approaches and owning project results. (Though there is an opportunity to transition less complex work to offshore teams.) They'll be excited to present results that could change the way businesses operate, and able to present those simply and clearly, in terms that business-people understand.
- Graduate degree or equivalent in computer science, statistics, econometrics, operations research, math, or a related field.
- Working knowledge of at least one statistical analysis tool (preferably R or NumPy/SciPy) and Microsoft Office for presentation.
- Demonstrated experience presenting results clearly, either in written or oral form.
- At least 2 years of work history in data analysis, with a track record of successful application of diverse analytical approaches. Some experience must be outside of academia.
- Programming skills, including the ability to do sophisticated automated data prep through SQL and at least one other language
- Ability and drive to work quickly and deliver new insights and incremental results on a daily basis.