Senior Software Engineer, Android at SoundHound in Santa Clara, CA
SoundHound is leading the mobile sound search revolution. Join us.
SoundHound delights millions of users every day with its famously fast music and voice recognition apps, and is winning awards and praise along the way. Our flagship app for iPhone and Android recently won the most competitive category in Billboard's inaugural Music App Awards, and achieved top-ten honors from the New York Times, becoming the only music app to do so.
"Insane" - The New York Times' David Pogue
"...could save your sanity" - Don Lemon, CNN
At SoundHound you'll be joining a diverse, world-class group of engineers, scientists, designers, and marketers on a team that includes both recent grads and seasoned veterans. Our strongest academic ties are with Stanford, and prior industry stops for our team members include Google, Amazon, Oracle, and Sony.
SoundHound not only builds killer apps but also the industry leading core technologies powering these apps. If you've worked on core technologies in a large company context, or have been an app developer licensing technologies that never quite keep up with your needs, you will appreciate the uniquely empowering experience of a workplace that combines people from both backgrounds – literally within a few yards of each other.
At SoundHound we value creativity, innovation, hard work, open communication and fast iteration, which allow us to act on valuable feedback from employees and users alike. SoundHound's culture is one of impromptu coffee breaks, less-impromptu fitness sessions, group lunches, and weekly happy hours. In vino veritas!
We offer a competitive salary, SoundHound stock options, unique camaraderie, catered lunches, and even occasional visits from recording artists (recently including Seal). SoundHound is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Role:
Welcome to Client Engineering at the company responsible for the most popular Music and Sound Search application for Android. In this position, you'll play a key role in the development of our next generation Audio Recognition apps, taking SoundHound's highly-sophisticated backend technology and creating a polished UI/UX to delight our hundreds of millions of users and maintain SoundHound's place as THE go-to app for Music Search and Exploration. To achieve this, you're an experienced Engineer with a deep knowledge of the Android platform, who enjoys working as part of a tight-knit team comprised of passionate, innovative and highly-collaborative Engineers. You believe things like SoundHound's unique "LiveLyrics" feature is awesome, and would relish the opportunity to sign your name to even cooler functionality within future products. Sound good? Read on!
- You eat, sleep, and breathe Android.
- You have a track record of iterating quickly while building maintainable code.
- You are hungry for a hands-on role building disruptive mobile products used by hundreds of millions of users.
- You love apps which leverage a microphone, and believe strongly in speech/audio powered use cases.
- Implement Android applications, including building new products from ground up.
- Participate in all phases of software development life cycle.
- Work closely with product design and server-side/core-technology teams
- Track record contributing to Android application that is live on the Android Market.
- 5+ years of solid industry experience, mostly Java
- 1+ years dedicated to Android, extensive knowledge of platform/tools
- Extensive experience with multithreaded programming and object-oriented design
- Deep knowledge of loaders, fragments, and other tools introduced with Honeycomb
- Experience with JSON/XML and interfacing with server side HTTP based API’s.
- Strong experience optimizing code for performance
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with low latency audio/networking on Android
- Android NDK development with C and C++
- Experience managing code on multiple branches
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent.
How to Apply:
- Impress us with a thoughtful cover letter telling us why you belong at SoundHound.
- Send us your resume. Please highlight which apps in Android Market best showcase your work.
- Download and use the SoundHound Android app. We'll talk to you about the experience as a part of the interview process.