IT/Operations Engineer at SoundHound in San Jose, CA
SoundHound is leading the mobile sound search revolution. Join us.
SoundHound delights millions of users every day with its famously fast music and voice recognition apps, and is winning awards and praise along the way. Our flagship app for iPhone and Android recently won the most competitive category in Billboard's inaugural Music App Awards, and achieved top-ten honors from the New York Times, becoming the only music app to do so.
"Insane" - The New York Times' David Pogue
"...could save your sanity" - Don Lemon, CNN
At SoundHound you'll be joining a diverse, world-class group of engineers, scientists, designers, and marketers on a team that includes both recent grads and seasoned veterans. Our strongest academic ties are with Stanford, and prior industry stops for our team members include Google, Amazon, Oracle, and Sony.
SoundHound not only builds killer apps but also the industry leading core technologies powering these apps. If you've worked on core technologies in a large company context, or have been an app developer licensing technologies that never quite keep up with your needs, you will appreciate the uniquely empowering experience of a workplace that combines people from both backgrounds – literally within a few yards of each other.
We value creativity, innovation, hard work, open communication and fast iteration, which allow us to act on valuable feedback from employees and users alike. SoundHound's culture is one of impromptu coffee breaks, less-impromptu fitness sessions, group lunches, and regular happy hours.
We offer a competitive salary, SoundHound stock options, unique camaraderie, catered lunches, and even occasional visits from recording artists (recently including Justin Nozuka, Two Door Cinema Club, and MC Hammer). SoundHound is an equal opportunity employer.
- You can accomplish anything from a Linux terminal, including, when necessary, the impossible
- You're passionate about high availability systems, and enjoy being the front-line responder for critical server-side issues impacting hundreds of millions of users
- You love working on small teams with a lot of responsibility and several different hats
- You're able to tackle complex issues with a strong sense of urgency and ownership
- You want a team that cares about keeping your pager quiet, but also feel under-utilized if no critical pages ever come your way
- Heavy involvement in all aspects of 24/7 production data-center operations
- Create robust automated solutions for production environment
- Configure monitoring, tune system performance, and work closely with engineering teams
- Periodically work onsite in data-center, helping rack up or repair servers
- Provide IT/admin support for development/desktop systems throughout the organization
- 3+ years of operations experience with large-scale, high-availability distributed systems
- Expert hands-on knowledge of Linux and scripting (Bash, Python, Perl, etc)
- Proven track record troubleshooting critical issues on complex, high-traffic systems
- Ability to analyze and optimize all major aspects of server-side performance
- Ability to implement solid script-based solutions for system tasks (PXE, kickstart, etc)
- Deep knowledge of networking (routers/switches, load balancing, DNS, VPN, etc)
Deep knowledge of monitoring and related tools (IPMI, Nagios, Trac, JIRA, etc)
Experience deploying to hundreds of servers at a fast pace
Experience with distributed file systems (AFS, NFS, etc)
Experience performance tuning SQL and NoSQL systems (MySQL, MongoDB, etc)
Experience working with audio/music/speech related data