Cloud Architect at Solink in Ottawa, Canada
The Quick Quiz:
- I can think of at least 3 reasons I want to work for a startup.
- I can be relied on to get just about anything done. I have a “just do it” attitude.
- I like to write code and I’m good at it.
- I think that the biggest risk in life is not taking one.
Still there? read on...
A job at Solink means working with an amazing team, tackling one of the biggest big data problems out there. Investor-backed and housed in an incubator-style innovation hub, we have a creative work environment, we get full health benefits, and at Solink all of our employees are also investors - everyone has a stake in the company.
We think big but our mission is simple: bring meaning to the billions of hours of video that are being recorded every year
For perspective, YouTube claims that users upload 72 hours of video every minute (link). That’s a huge volume of data, but some Solink customers record over 650 hours of video every minute, from over 40,000 CCTV cameras. Less than 0.1% of this video is used because there’s no way to know when something important happens. Additionally, those cameras collect a lot more information than security threats- we believe everyone in an organization can use video to better understand customers, employees, assets, and products.
Here is the opportunity:
We are looking for someone who has deployed cloud platforms and infrastructure services. Someone who can make fact-based decisions around EC2 vs. App Engine, force.com vs. custom, Ruby vs. Node vs. java/.net, Heroku vs. self-host, HBase vs. relational vs. NoSQL. We need hard core technical architects who can own these decisions, map out the cost/technical-benefit and lead the implementation. This person will be the technical heart and soul of our cloud offering.
Day to day:
In this role you will focus on providing technical leadership for an innovative team working on creating a billion dollar business:
- Design and implement major pieces of Solink’s distributed Cloud offering.
- Master our development process, culture and code base, and then improve it.
- Work closely with our sales, product, and customers to build new features our customers will love, while keeping our platform stable and scalable.
- Mentor others in development technologies, tools, and processes.
- Develop test strategies and frameworks to drive up code coverage and automation metrics.
- Make design decisions and be able to defend them to our Engineering team on the basis of performance, cost, scalability, and future expansion.
- Develop high-quality, production ready code that can be used by millions of users on our cloud platform.
- Resolve complex technical issues and drive innovation through our products.
- Lead by example and build consensus across technology and products.
- Craft a data strategy that will enable our long term vision, will be easy to maintain and will power the foundations to our user experience.
- A great attitude that centers around the customer first
- Experience with cloud environments (AWS, Rackspace or other)
- Experience building multi-tenant, multi-region, highly available, scalable cloud systems.
- Ability to learn quickly and deliver high quality code in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Deep understanding of internet and networking protocols.
- Technical degree in Engineering/CS/or equivalent experience
- Bonus: Experience in video/image processing, transcoding, and streaming