Spread the word
Not the right job?
Technical Lead / Senior Software Engineer at Shop It To Me in San Francisco, CA
Technical Lead / Senior Software engineer for a large, rapidly scaling startup
- Shop It To Me is the #1 online personal shopping service. We recommend 2+ billion products to 3+ million active subscribers every month. We are profitable and growing FAST – we tripled in size in 2009.
- Here’s how it works: You tell us your favorite brands (Prada, Nike, 600+ others) and preferences (sizes, prices). Then we scour the internet every day and let you know when things you want go on sale.
- We make money whenever people buy something - our service has been called "addictive" and "dangerous."
- Everyone loves a sale – join us and help our millions of adoring fans access the products they crave.
About the Job:
- Apply technology to drive business results, tackling one or more difficult problems:
- We have scale. We push so much opt-in email that we had to upgrade to TWO separate dedicated gigabit pipes.
- We have lots and lots of data. Calculating billions of accurate recommendations quickly is tricky, and recommendation quality has a direct impact on our bottom line.
- Programatically reading the web reliably is hard. We scrape and normalize product data from 100s of ever-changing sites - and it's just not okay for us to push incorrect or incomplete data into people's inboxes.
- Set the pace and tone. Lead other great engineers by example - by writing elegant code.
- Produce excellent work that will earn the trust, respect and admiration of our small, agile development team.
- Moderate technical discussions with no ego, respecting everyone's opinion and driving towards the best solutions no matter where they come from.
- Be practical. Perform within the constraints of a fast-paced startup environment, optimizing for business results vs. tech-cool-factor & ivory-tower architecture principles.
- Experience leading in a professional software engineering environment (bug tracking, source control, regular releases, robust automated testing) where performance and reliability matter.
- A penchant for mentoring other software engineers... you enjoy helping those around you improve their skills. If you were into test driven development, that would be cool.
- Demonstrable, hands on fluency in a compiled and an interpreted language. You know *a lot* about a few different subjects and others seek out your advice as an expert.
- Uber-productive. Intellectually curious. A motivated motivator. Practical. Passionate.
- "Buck stops" engineering background – you’ve had to make (and live with) technical decisions.
- Experience working on a system that scaled 100x+ under your watchful eye. (in any role – as a software engineer, architect, director, VP, CTO – as long as you were there, that’s great)
- You've built tools and technologies that we’ve heard of and are widely used. Open source contributions a huge plus.
- Formal training in computer science: bachelors, masters, phd, whatever.
- Competitive salary & options, medical, dental, vision, a nice selection of free food & drink.
- Sweet rig of your choosing, phat monitors, Aeron chairs, big windows, high ceilings, brick walls.
- Millions of adoring (mostly female) fans.
How To Apply:
- Please include a cover letter if you are applying directly. Applications without cover letters WILL NOT be considered. We need people who can write code and English. In your cover letter please discuss why this job sounds fun - and if you've helped scale systems before, please tell us about them.
- You must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. We will not sponsor visas, nor will we hire consultants through sub-contractors that hold your visa. Oh yeah - and we don't work *any* third party recruiters.
Position located in San Francisco, CA