Spread the word
Not the right job?
Manager of Systems Operations and Infrastructure at Shop It To Me in San Fran...
Manage, administrate, automate and grow the systems infrastructure of a profitable, high growth startup.
- Shop It To Me is the #1 online personal shopping service. We recommend 2+ billion products to 3+ million active subscribers every month. We are profitable and growing FAST – we tripled in size in 2009.
- Here’s how it works: You tell us your favorite brands (Prada, Nike, 600+ others) and preferences (size, price). Then we scour the internet every day and let you know when things you want go on sale.
- We make money whenever people buy something. Our service has been called "addictive" and "dangerous."
- Everyone loves a sale – join us and help our millions of adoring fans access the products they crave.
About the Job:
- Collaborate with software engineers to ensure operational issues are considered throughout the entire development life cycle. We are looking for a leader who can actively contribute to the dialogue of how things are built to avoid problems before they creep up.
- Initially, 75+% of your time will be spent developing tools to automate system configuration, maintenance, deployment and monitoring.
- While we already have significant pieces in place, there's at ton of room for improvement, especially as we branch out into multiple data centers and ship new products in the coming year.
- We are looking for someone who is practical and scrappy. We want things to work, but we've got a strong open source bias and are looking for someone who knows how to keep lots of iron humming along at a low cost.
- Automate configuration, management, monitoring and, ideally, deployments.
- Help architect operations to optimize throughput, stability and security while keeping costs down.
- Think strategically, partnering with the development team to ensure the operational integrity of new designs and new code.
- Establish 24/7 monitoring, problem identification, escalations, and notifications related to all production systems and services - including building dashboards and metrics to improve our view into system performance. Take personal responsibility to keep things running smoothly and continually make them better. Yup, you are going to carry the pager some of the time.
- Own capacity planning, system monitoring, and system load testing processes
- Build and manage an operations team as the business grows
- You've managed a sizable production systems infrastructure that drives millions of dollars of revenue
- You've been a lead and you've probably managed a few people at some point in your career.
- Very, very strong UNIX skills. You've had exposure to a few different distros.
- Hands-on experience installing and configuring: Linux, MySQL, storage, web servers, networks, firewalls, and monitoring tools.
- Previous experience writing modular automation code, big plus if you wrote it an OO language.
- The idea of having the time and resources to build continuous deployment infrastructure makes you drool a little.
- You've personally owned rapidly scaling infrastructure in the past, and you are up for doing it again.
- You're active in the open source community. People who are not your friends have used tools and scripts you've put out there.
- You have experience using some of our tools: Ruby/Rails and JRuby; Capistrano; Chef (from Opscode); Ganglia and RRDTool; God; Rabbit MQ; memcached; sphinx; nginx; apache; PowerMTA
- Competitive salary & options, medical, dental, vision, nice selection of free food & drink.
- Sweet rig of your choosing, phat monitors, Aeron chairs, big windows, high ceilings, brick walls.
- Millions of adoring (mostly female) fans.
How To Apply:
- Please include a cover letter. Although you'll interact with machines far more than people in this role, we'd like like a writing sample as well. Please describe some of the automation and management infrastructure you've built in your cover letter. It would be great if you could explain why you chose specific tools and technologies.
- You must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. We will not sponsor visas, nor will we hire consultants through sub-contractors that hold your visa. Oh yeah - and we don't work *any* third party recruiters.
Position is located in San Francisco, CA