Spread the word
Not the right job?
Senior Software Engineer at Shmoop in Mountain View, CA
Shmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that are - get this - smart and fun. We are on the hunt for a Senior Software Engineer that is ready to jump in and get started!
About the job:
About the job:
- Take lead and responsibility in architecting solutions for products and features.
- Focus on building and shipping products based on spec. Have responsibility of owning key products and shipping them on time.
- Be part of the core engineering team at an early stage startup. We're onto something big, and you will be one of the core engineers here.
- Write maintainable code with extensive test coverage in a professional software engineering environment (with source control, dev/stage/prod release cycle, continuous deployment) – cowboy coders need not apply.
- You love design patterns. No, you're not into making quilts (unless you actually are).
- 2-3 years work experience.
- You have experience working on the server side (PHP, Ruby, Java, Python).
- Previous experience scaling vertically, horizontally, and any other way you can think of for the sake of performance.
- Your core skill is not using libraries. You build libraries and write code that other people use.
- You are obsessed (borderline compulsive, actually) about making user interfaces look right and work right. You dig the science of user experience and have opinions.
- You thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
- You communicate well on paper and in code.
- Play well with others. Collaborate across the company (we're a small team).
- You have experience at startups.
- You've created your own sites in AWS.
- Big Data means big fun.
- You have experience in consumer facing sites. You thrive on shipping product daily.
- You’ve made a substantial contribution to an open source project. HUGE bonus points if you have started or lead a project.
- You're more comfortable at the command line than you are with a mouse.
- You read up on, and experiment with, new technologies because it’s in your nature .
- You don’t just learn how things work; you learn why.
Be prepared to work your tail off (and love it)!