Project-Based Science Curriculum Teacher/Writer at Shmoop in Mountain View, CA
Shmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that are—dare we say it—awesome, thrilling, spectacular, magnificent, unforgettable, and...smart. Really smart.
To help carry out Shmoop’s (mostly benign) plans for world domination, we’re looking for talented Project-Based Science Curriculum Teacher/Writers who flip over phylums, go ape for acids, and dote on DNA. You will be writing engaging science content for students in middle school and high school who are studying chemistry or biology.
- Writing engaging lessons – including lectures, labs, activities, and tests - for online publication
- Creating user-friendly teacher guides and grading rubrics to accompany your curriculum
- Surfing the Internet for hilarious yet informative science content
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or another science-based major, with strong academic performance (GPA 3.7+)
- Knowledge of basic chemistry or biology concepts, such as chemical equations, mitosis, and cellular respiration
- Familiarity with writing for non-academic audiences and ability to express science concepts in an engaging and approachable way
- An eye for detail and a knack for organization
- Competency in Microsoft Word
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a good sense of humor
Our offices are located in Mountain View, California, but you can work from wherever you want (whenever you want, and also wearing whatever you want). The position is part-time, and you’ll be paid per completed project.
Please specify if you are applying for chemistry, biology, physical science, or a combination. Send us your cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts; we’ll be waiting with bated breath. A topic-specific writing sample will be required.