Development Associate at Reading Partners in Oakland, CA
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 5,000 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, Maryland, and Colorado with a budget of over $13M. As one of only a handful of nonprofits to receive two highly competitive federal Social Innovation Fund grants, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
- Focus on children from low-income communities.
- Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
- Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
- Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
Reading Partners seeks a highly-organized, self-starter for our Development Associate position. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who desires a long and successful career in development and fundraising with a focus on government, foundation and corporate grant writing to become involved in a rapidly growing national non-profit. S/he must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace.
The ideal candidate has 1-3 years of development experience preferably in a nationally scaled organization with an operating budget of $2+mm. S/he is highly organized with a demonstrated ability to attend to day-to-day details without losing sight of mid and long term objectives. S/he is customer service focused with a unique ability to anticipate and address issues. S/he has an ability to recognize, capture, and convey stories that will engage supporters and stakeholders in a meaningful way.
The Development Associate reports to the Associate Development Director and works closely with various senior leaders including Regional Executive Directors and Regional Board members
- Provide front-line fund development support, including grant writing and reporting and communications with donors and prospects
- Manage the donor database and act as the quality assurance officer to ensure that information is accurately entered in the Reading Partners custom donor database and reconcile the database to financial reports on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with the Associate Development Director in identifying and qualifying major gift prospects
- Create appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies, and work together with manager and team to execute individualized action plans
- Manage Reading Partners’ donor recognition, retention, and stewardship programs in partnership with Supervisor
- Plan and execute of organizational events, including both donor, program, and PR events in conjunction with other departments
- Serve as the liaison to foundations and other institutional funders as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- One to three years of fundraising/development experience
- Excellent written communication skills and attention to detail
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivator and ability to operate effectively with limited direction
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and adapt to new situations
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Deep belief in our mission
- Bachelor’s degree
- Previous fundraising and/or events experience with a nationally scaled organization
- Background in PR, communications, or marketing
- Experience in the fields of education or literacy
Commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits and a generous vacation, sick and holiday schedule.
Please submit the following:
- Thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in the position, relevant experience/qualifications, salary requirements, and salary history.
- 2 page writing sample (Please note that you will need to extend your cover letter to include the writing sample so that you can upload as one document)
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.