After School Teacher's Aide at Reading Partners in San Francisco, CA
After School Teacher's Aide - Reading Partners Plus
Reading Partners launched in 1999 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 5,000 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, Maryland, South Carolina, Oklahoma, and Colorado with a budget of over $16M. As one of only a handful of nonprofits to receive two highly competitive federal Social Innovation Fund grants, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
- Focus on children from low-income communities.
- Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
- Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
- Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
ABOUT READING PARTNERS PLUS
In addition to one-on-one tutoring, Reading Partners also provides after school support through our Reading Partners Plus programs where students are exposed to access, equity, and student achievement and provided a safe, nurturing and engaging environment during after school hours. We believe that the after school time should have an academic foundation and create unique learning opportunities for the students that incorporate elements connected to the school day.
Reading Partners Plus, a literacy-based afterschool program, seeks an engaging, part time After School Teacher's Aide for our San Francisco locations to support and assist the lead site staff in planning and executing group afterschool activities, and supervising volunteers. The Reading Partners Plus program uses a highly structured curriculum developed by Reading Partners and supplemented by the After School Lead Teacher's creativity and innovation. The Teacher's Aide helps and supports the After School Lead Teacher in creating or developing any curriculum or program activities.
- The After School Teacher's Aide reports directly to the Reading Partners Afterschool Program Coordinator, an experienced elementary educator with a strong background in teaching literacy and afterschool programming. Program Coordinators provide full time on-site support and coaching.
- The After School Teacher's Aide also recieves direction and support from the After School Lead Teacher.
- This position works closely with other Reading Partners staff, school staff members and administration, volunteer tutors, community partners, students, and families.
The Reading Partners Plus Afterschool Program typically operates from 2-6pm, Monday through Friday when schools are open. Additional hours are spent planning, participating in professional development, and collaborating with team members. This is an exciting opportunity to play a critical role in directly impacting Bay Area elementary school students while building your own organizational and professional skills.
Lesson Planning and Student/Classroom Management
- Help coordinate a group of approximately 18-20 elementary aged students during the afterschool time.
- Assist the After School Lead Teacher in executing educational lessons and activities that have a literacy foundation.
- Support the needs of the group and of individuals in the group throughout the after-school day
- Support the lesson and project planning process.
- Write lesson plans for and lead 1-2 lessons a week
- Implement identified materials, tools, resources and activities to address students’ learning needs.
- Support positive communication and relationships between Reading Partners, teachers, students’ families and community partners.
- Help implement opportunities for parents to become involved with the program.
- Undertake other projects, as interest and time permit
- Experience and interest in working with elementary school-age children in an afterschool setting
- Willingness to learn and be coached with professional development related to group instruction, lesson planning and student support services
- Excellent constituent relations (students, volunteers, teachers, parents) and customer service skills
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Positive, creative and engaging personality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of and ability to follow a structured Reading Partners curriculum
- Proficient computer skills (email communications and data entry)
- Reliable and steady access to transportation (public transportation /personal transport) to travel within a defined region on occasion
- Proficiency in Spanish or Chinese
- Experience teaching reading to K-5 students or working within a school environment
- Experience working with a diverse community and/or English Language Learners
- Experience with data entry, email communications and computer proficiency
Rate: $12 - $16 per hour depending on experience. This is a part-time (15-25 hrs/week), non-exempt position, which does not include health benefits and will require a commitment through the school year.
Please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- Cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.