UX Designer at Puppet Labs in Portland, OR
Reports to: Director of User Experience
Location: Portland, OR
Summary of Role
Puppet Labs is hiring a User Experience Designer to do excellent user-centered design. One of our core values is user delight. You will own the user experience for the projects you work on. You will work with the UX team to assure that the the product accomplishes the job for which our customers hire it and to verify this empirically with real customers using a variety of methods. You will help interpret the results of these user engagements to improve the product in the right direction.
Puppet is a very technical product and our users are commensurately so. You should have an affinity for technology and empathy for people who do technical jobs. You must be experienced at communicating with users, customers, developers, and internal stakeholders.
UX in Puppet is much more than the GUI, but this role will focus on GUI interaction in browser-based applications. As a UX team we work closely with engineering. We don’t create perfect specifications and then throw them over the wall; we create prototypes of increasing fidelity and use them to communicate. You don’t need to be able to write or understand backend code; you do need to know how to build the HTML and CSS for your own design work.
QualificationsYou must have the taste to tell good from great and the inability to leave something good. We expect the most qualified candidates to have 3-5 years experience in most of these areas:
- Designing and prototyping UIs and workflows at multiple levels of fidelity.
- Well-versed in the artifacts of our profession, their uses, overuses, and downfalls, e.g., user stories, workflows, wireframes, paper prototypes, interactive prototypes.
- Experience with and love for an agile, iterative environment.
- Excellent understanding of how browser-based applications work.
- Working productively in HTML and CSS as part of a team that ships product.
Additional SkillsThese are some of the most important skills we need to succeed as a UX team. We possess all these skills to some degree, although obviously none of us can do all of them well. We want a well-rounded team member who can at least talk well with us about these topics. Demonstrated skill or experience in any of them is a plus.
- User research in the field.
- Usability testing.
- Information architecture.
- Design for mobile.
- Visual design.
- OS X, Linux, or another Unix.
With your online application, please include a cover letter and link to your online portfolio. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Why are you interested in working for Puppet Labs?
- “In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities; in the expert’s mind there are few.” What does this mean to you? With regard to UX design, do you have beginner’s mind or expert’s mind?
- What is the lowest-fidelity design artifact that you can successfully test with a customer? Have you done this?
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.