Technical Writer at Puppet Labs in Portland, OR
Department: Technical Operations
Reports to: VP, Technical Operations
Location: Portland, OR (Note: this is a full time, non-contract role. Non-local candidates should be willing to relocate to Portland, OR)
Summary of Role
Puppet Labs is hiring an experienced Technical Writer to design, develop and implement a wide variety of customized technical documentation for internal and external audiences. In this role, you will be gathering information about user workflows and software functionality, then using that information to create and improve our user manuals, technical references, installation guides, help documents, and training materials, for both online and offline use. You will also work with our Engineering, UX, and Marketing teams to help improve Puppet and interact with our awesome global Puppet community.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as a software technical writer with an emphasis on end-user and customer documentation.
- Ability to produce quick, accurate and detailed documentation from specifications, observations, interviews, and informal conversations.
- Proven professional skills in effective planning, scheduling, researching and writing.
- Experience with HTML, Markdown, print documentation, and version control.
Preferred but not required:
- BA English, Communications, or related area of study.
- Experience generating well-structured print documents from frequently changing source material.
- Software development experience a plus.
Please include a cover letter with your application describing why you are interested in working for Puppet Labs and, more specifically, summarize how your experience fits each of the aforementioned qualifications. In your cover letter, please include a link to a work sample of a technical document you have written.
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, we're making powerful, enterprise-class IT management technologies accessible to companies of all sizes, enabling our customers to leverage their IT systems for competitive advantage and eliminate IT inefficiencies and outages. We're an enterprise software company with a consumer sales model, a passionate, worldwide use base, and the conviction that open source infrastructure is the way forward. Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet is all about.