Professional Services Manager (Portland, OR/West Coast) at Puppet Labs in Loc...
Enjoy leading technical, client-facing teams? Do you love automation and Open Source software? Excited about what Puppet is doing and want to be a part of it?
Puppet Labs is hiring a Professional Services Manager to help drive strategic direction for the department and set the daily operations for the Professional Services (PS) Team. The PS Manager will coach our growing team of consultants and ensure we continue our tradition of delivering outstanding services to our clients. In this role, you will manage PS engagements with customers as well as manage team members, milestones, and activities. You will coordinate with peers and other departments, such as User Experience, Engineering, and Sales to collaborate on special initiatives and to formalize feedback and communication loops. You will work with the PS Director and another PS Manager to help develop the roadmap for PS offerings. As Manager, your goal is to facilitate excellent Professional Services performance by coaching Professional Services Engineers, making proactive change and removing barriers to enhance productivity and satisfaction. In order to do so, the Professional Service Manager will occasionally participate in consulting engagements (10-15% of the time) in order to maintain Puppet Labs domain expertise to help evaluate the quality and relative significance of technical output and achievements from PS team members.
- Knowledge of configuration management, data center management, and systems management domains
- Solid understanding of *nix operating systems
- Experience managing and growing a Professional Services team
- Excellent leadership skills, with proven success in leading, engaging and motivating staff, as well as working effectively across departments.
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Experience generating and interpreting service delivery key metrics
- Experience supervising staff, including hiring, performance management, team building, etc.
- Professional Services experience in an open source/enterprise software company
- Strong customer relations & presentation skills
- Experience with Puppet or other configuration management tools
- Excitement about working with Puppet
- Passion for problem solving
- Ability to travel up to 25% nationally and internationally
Preferred but not required:
- Technical degree
- Open source professional services, development or systems administration experience
Please include a cover letter with your application addressing the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in working for Puppet Labs?
2. Please summarize how you feel your background meets the aforementioned qualifications.
3. Describe your philosophy and approach for motivating, coaching and developing a Professional Services team.
4. Describe your worst interaction with a customer and what you learned from it.
5. Describe a recent or significant “learning moment” in a professional environment. What did you learn? How will you use this knowledge?
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.