Intern (SysAdmin / Release) at Puppet Labs in Portland, OR
Intern (SysAdmin / Release)
Reports to: Release Manager
Location: Portland, OR
Length of Internship: 16 weeks
Type of Internship: Paid
Hours per Week: 20
Summary of Role
Do you have a passion for Open Source software? Have sysadmin background? Interested in the packaging and testing of software used on all major Linux distributions? Do you love breaking software in creative ways and digging in to discover root causality?
Puppet Labs is seeking an Intern with SysAdmin experience to work with the Release Management group of our Engineering team, supporting our release engineering efforts in a complex, distributed product stack with near exponential testing possibilities. During this internship, you will focus on areas including Community Package Repository Management, SLES improvements, the Mac experience for Puppet FOSS, and Solaris improvements.
- Academic or work experience performing systems administration in a Linux/Unix environment
- Basic scripting skills in Bash, Ruby, Perl, and/or Python
- Familiarity with software development life cycle
- Experience with Open Source
- Excitement in working with engineering teams to deliver high-quality software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Preferred but not required:
- Exposure to revision control software (CVS, SVN, Git)
- Academic or work experience doing acceptance, component, capacity, and/or exploratory testing
- Experience with packaging software in RPM and/or Deb formats
- Currently enrolled in a technical undergraduate or graduate degree program
Please include a cover letter with your application describing why you are interested in working for Puppet Labs, and how you feel your experience fits the listed qualifications of the position.
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, we're making powerful, enterprise-class IT management technologies accessible to companies of all sizes, enabling our customers to leverage their IT systems for competitive advantage and eliminate IT inefficiencies and outages. We're an enterprise software company with a consumer sales model, a passionate, worldwide use base, and the conviction that open source infrastructure is the way forward. Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet is all about.