Remote Advanced Technical Support at Piston Cloud - Europe at Piston Cloud in...
Change the trajectory of your career by working on OpenStack, the most essential software project today, commoditizing and democratizing cloud computing.
Are you a System Administrator or Devop who isn’t happy unless you’re combining your deep technical skills with working directly with people who have diverse experiences and needs? Do you love beating a bug into submission, while you and your colleagues work on a more permanent and robust solution? Do you thrive when given the independence and responsibility of working from home or any other space of your choosing?
Piston Cloud Computing, Inc. is a software company founded in 2011 by several of the creators of OpenStack.
Piston Cloud makes enterprise-grade cloud software for secure private cloud environments. Our core product, Piston Enterprise OpenStack is an easy, secure and open version of the OpenStack cloud platform, specifically focused on the needs of enterprise. Our goal is to help organizations solve their enterprise storage and compute problems, with the flexibility to adapt and build on a open and accessible codebase, while reserving the option of working with their choice of hardware and software providers for a distinct strategic and economic IT advantage.
We also act as a liaison between the businesses, academic communities and nonprofit and research organizations that deploy OpenStack, and the open source community that develops it. We help drive OpenStack forward via our code contributions, thought leadership through our role on the OpenStack Project Policy Board, and in support of the OpenStack developer community. We willingly share our expertise, leadership, guidance, vision and code with the community and other companies working to make OpenStack the industry standard in cloud.
Piston Cloud is headquartered two blocks off of Union Square in San Francisco. We love shuffling, pints from Magnolia's, coffee from Blue Bottle, and dressing fancy on Fridays. We like to bowl, host movie nights, and buy lunch for employees every day. We have been known to spontaneously rap and juggle. In our spare time we make enterprise-grade software for building secure private cloud environments, built on open source software we helped to create at NASA. We regularly sponsor local start-up events and parties, including OpenStack hack-a-thons every other Thursday, and we travel twice a year to the OpenStack conference where we mostly keep our shirts on. Check out our website at www.pistoncloud.com.
As a Remote Advanced Technical Support Engineer in Europe at Piston Cloud you’ll be a member of our Customer Care team, supporting our customers running Piston Enterprise OpenStack from whever you live in Europe. You’ll work closely with our development team both to ensure problems of impact are resolved and that the product roadmap meets our customers’ evolving needs.
The ideal candidate will be able to turn frustration into satisfaction, be never happy with just resolving the problems of the day, and value the slow process of developing strong relationships. A thirst for deeper knowledge of operations and development, and a desire to share all they learn during the customer engagement process, is a must.
- Provide follow-the-sun support to enterprise customers particularly during the early morning of the U.S. day (09:00 - 16:00 GMT).
- “Pager” rotation as required.
- Monitor, track, and document customer support calls and related activities in CRM.
- Document issues and best practices in support knowledge base.
- Cross-train other team members on Piston Enterprise OpenStack functionality and troubleshooting.
- Create tooling to improve Customer Care.
- Visit Piston Cloud HQ in San Francisco for 1.5 weeks at a time at least 2 times a year.
- Represent Piston Cloud wherever you live and travel. Attend community events.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering; or equivalent experience.
- Self-driven work ethic.
- Patience and grace.
- Exceptional problem solving skills.
- Fluent at English; written and spoken.
- Articulate; comfortable working closely with managers, developers, and customers on the phone, or over email and instant messaging (IM).
- You’ve managed thousands of servers; preferably in a virtualizated environment.
- Operations automation experience.
- Proven ability with UNIX and Linux operating systems.
- Python debugging experience.
- Demonstrable experience participating in open source projects.
We recognize that for you to do your best work and love signing on here every day, you must be happy. We believe in living a balanced life, and we know that that can mean different things for different people. Our job is to make your life easier and we take care of as many of the little details as possible so that you can be your most productive. We take a very liberal approach to employee perks and benefits.
- Stock Options.
- Three weeks of paid vacation.
- We cover the cost of company travel with regular visits to European cloud and open source events, and trips to San Francisco timed to company events and parties.
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Same-week turnaround on expenses.